Checking for time invariance

In summary, to determine if the system is time-invariant, we must check if the output remains the same when the input is delayed by a certain amount. Using the given equations, it can be shown that the system is indeed time-invariant. To find the output y(t) when the input is x(t) = |t|, we simply substitute the given input into the output function and evaluate the integral. The resulting equation is y(t) = \int_0^\infty e^{-\sigma} |t - \sigma| \, d\sigma .
teknodude

Homework Statement

Consider the following input-output relationship:
[tex] y(t) = \int_0^\infty e^{-\sigma}x(t-\sigma) d\sigma [/tex]

A) Is the system time-invariant?
B) Find the output y(t) when the input to the system is [tex] x(t) = \mid t \mid , -\infty < t < \infty [/tex]

Homework Equations

These are the equations to check for time invariance

A system with an input-output transformation y(*) = T[x(*)] is time invariant if for any t and [tex] \tau [/tex]

[tex] y(t) = T[x(t)] [/tex]

[tex] z(t) = x(t-\tau)[/tex]

[tex] T[z(t)] = y(t-\tau)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Edit: Ok I think it's time to get some sleep. This problem was actually pretty simple and I totally screwed it up earlier.

[tex] z(t) = T[x(t-\tau)] = \int_0^\infty e^{-\sigma}z(t - \tau - \sigma) d\sigma [/tex]

[tex] y(t-\tau) = \int_0^\infty e^{-\sigma}z(t - \tau - \sigma) d\sigma [/tex]

therefore [tex] T[x(t-\tau)] = y(t-\tau) [/tex] , so it is time-invariant

Now how do I atempt part B? I'm not seeing how the given input can be included in the given output function. My main thought is to just substitute [tex] x(t-\sigma) [/tex] with [tex] x(t) [/tex]

My other minor thought is maybe I should use the change of variable rule from calculus to the y(t) fxn.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
teknodude said:
Now how do I atempt part B? I'm not seeing how the given input can be included in the given output function. My main thought is to just substitute [tex] x(t-\sigma) [/tex] with [tex] x(t) [/tex]

Since x(t) = |t|, then [itex]x(t - \sigma) = |t - \sigma| [/itex]. So, all you have to do is evaluate:

[tex] y(t) = \int_0^\infty e^{-\sigma} |t - \sigma| \, d\sigma [/tex]

I would approach this problem by first verifying whether the given system is time-invariant or not. To do this, I would follow the given equations and substitute the given input and output functions into them. From my calculations, it seems that the system is indeed time-invariant, as the output function remains the same when the input function is shifted by a time delay.

For part B, I would approach it by substituting the given input function into the output function and solving for y(t). This can be done by using the properties of integrals and making use of the given limits. After solving for y(t), I would check if the output function satisfies the input-output relationship given in the problem. If it does, then my solution is correct.

In summary, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by following the given equations and using mathematical techniques to verify the time-invariance of the system and to find the output when a specific input is given. I would also double check my solution to make sure it satisfies the given input-output relationship.

I would approach this problem by first checking the definition of time-invariance and understanding the equations provided. From the given input-output relationship, it is clear that the system is time-invariant because the output y(t) is dependent on the input x(t) and not on the specific time t. This means that if the input is shifted by a certain amount of time, the output is also shifted by the same amount of time.

For part B, we need to find the output y(t) when the input is x(t) = |t|. To do this, we can substitute x(t) into the given output function and solve for y(t).

y(t) = \int_0^\infty e^{-\sigma}x(t-\sigma) d\sigma

= \int_0^\infty e^{-\sigma}|t-\sigma| d\sigma

Since the input is an absolute value function, we can split the integral into two parts based on the sign of t-\sigma.

= \int_0^t e^{-\sigma}(t-\sigma) d\sigma + \int_t^\infty e^{-\sigma}(\sigma-t) d\sigma

= \frac{te^{-t}}{2} + \frac{e^{-t}}{2} + \frac{e^{-t}}{2}

= e^{-t}

Therefore, the output y(t) when the input is x(t) = |t| is simply e^{-t}.

What is time invariance and why is it important to check for it?

Time invariance refers to the property of a system or process where its behavior remains constant over time. It is important to check for time invariance because it ensures that the system or process is stable and reliable, and its output can be predicted accurately.

How is time invariance determined?

Time invariance can be determined by performing a time shift test on the system or process. This involves comparing the output of the system at different time points to see if it remains consistent. Alternatively, mathematical equations can be used to analyze the system's behavior over time.

Why is it necessary to check for time invariance in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, time invariance is crucial because it helps ensure that the results obtained are accurate and reproducible. If a system or process is not time-invariant, it can lead to unpredictable and unreliable results, making it difficult to draw meaningful conclusions.

What are some examples of time-invariant systems or processes?

A pendulum swinging back and forth, a chemical reaction occurring at a constant rate, and a simple electric circuit with fixed components are all examples of time-invariant systems or processes. In each of these cases, the behavior of the system remains consistent over time.

What can cause a system or process to be non-time-invariant?

A system or process can be non-time-invariant due to external factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or other environmental conditions. It can also be caused by internal factors such as wear and tear of components, malfunctioning equipment, or changes in the system's parameters.