Control LEDs with Audio: A/D Converter & Microprocessor

• Thread starter hsadan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leds
In summary, the person is trying to control LEDs to create different colors using different audio frequencies. They are not sure how to do this, but they found a site that has schematics for doing so.
hsadan
I am trying to control a bunch of LEDs to respond to different audio frequencies.

I have a microprocessor with A/D converter and know how to use these, but I have no idea how to go about the rest of it.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean for this thing to be responsive to an actual audible signal, as through a microphone, or simply the electronic signal that would drive a speaker?
I know nothing of electronics, but if it's the latter scenario I would suggest that you check into schematics for the bar graphs on graphic equalizers or the sequencers used by bands for their lighting effects.

I'm trying to do it through a microphone.

I have an idea of how I am going to control my LEDs, my main problem now is figuring out what is the best way to receive the audio signal (eg. what's the best type of microphone to use) and how to filter out the different frequencies.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Would you then be able to still use the graphic equalizer circuitry by running your mike through a regular pre-amp?
I have plans somewhere for similar 'colour organs', but they're based upon transistors and small light bulbs (60's-70's Popular Electronics magazines):redface: .

sorry, to be honest I am completely lost as to what I could or could not use.

I did a quick search, and it does seem like I might be able to use similar circuitry.. the main problem is that so far, for all the circuits I've looked at, there are some parts of them I don't understand yet.
it's a little late right now so I can't really think, will look into it in the morning.

thanks for your help so far!

hsadan said:
sorry, to be honest I am completely lost as to what I could or could not use...
...thanks for your help so far!
Don't apologize... you know more than I do. I have no experience with microprocessors, and have never heard of a A/D converter.
As for the help, there really wasn't any. I'm just throwing out random ideas in the hope that one might be useful.
Once Berkeman and a few others weigh in, you'll have some real guidance.

1. How does an A/D converter work?

An A/D converter, or analog-to-digital converter, is a device that converts analog signals (such as sound waves) into digital signals (a series of 1s and 0s). This is done by measuring the amplitude of the analog signal at specific intervals and assigning a binary code to represent that amplitude. The resulting digital signal can then be processed by a microprocessor.

2. What is the role of a microprocessor in controlling LEDs with audio?

A microprocessor acts as the brain of the system, receiving the digital signal from the A/D converter and processing it to determine the appropriate LED pattern to display. It also controls the timing and intensity of the LED lights based on the audio input.

3. Can any type of audio be used to control the LEDs?

Yes, with the use of an A/D converter, any type of audio signal can be converted into a digital signal and used to control the LEDs. However, the quality and clarity of the audio signal may affect the accuracy and responsiveness of the LED control.

4. How are the LED lights physically connected to the microprocessor?

The LEDs are typically connected to the microprocessor through a series of wires and resistors. The microprocessor sends signals to the LEDs through these wires, controlling their on/off state and brightness.

5. Are there any limitations to using audio to control LEDs?

One limitation is the speed at which the microprocessor can process the digital signals from the A/D converter. If the audio input is too complex or fast-paced, the microprocessor may not be able to keep up and the LED control may appear choppy or inaccurate. Additionally, the range of colors and patterns that can be displayed may be limited by the number of LEDs and their capabilities.