Algebraic problem: forming equation?

• Thread starter buddyboole19
  • Start date
So in summary, to solve for the number of mugs originally purchased (n), the equation is 3n^2-28n-96=0 and you can use the quadratic formula to find the solutions. The original cost per mug was $48/n and the profit made on each mug was $3 above the original cost per mug.
buddyboole19
1. A retailer spent $48 to purchase a number of special mugs. Two of them were broken in the store, but by selling each of the remaining mugs for $3 above the orignial cost per mug, she made a total profit of $22. Construct an equation that will allow us to solve for the number of mugs, denoted by n, that were originally purchased.How many mugs were purchased? What was the original cost per mug? What profit was made on each mug?

So first - my original cost per mug equation: C=48/n
Selling price of mug: S=(48/n)+3
number of mugs sold: n-2
number of mugs bought: n

my attempt at solving: (n-2) * ((48/n)+3) = 48 +22

my thought process here was i took the number of mugs able to be sold (n-2) multiplied by the selling price of each mug = ((48/n)+3) to get the total money made 48+22. Where 22 is the profit she made, and 48 was the original purchase price.

so first thing i did was get rid of the N in the denominator of selling price. multiplying (n-2) times n, and ((48/n)+3) times n = and then 70 times n

simplifying gets me (n^2-2n) * (48 +3n) = 70
multiplying with distributive property :
3n^3+42n^2-96n = 70 n
isolate 0 gets me

3n^3 +42n^2 -166n=0

factor out one n:

n(3n^2+42n-166)=0

now I am trying to factor my quadratic equation. But i just cant. nothing works.
Ive long since figured N to be 12, simply by trial an error. But i need to show equations. And i have no idea where my math went in error. Can anyone show me an equation to use, or where i went wrong or help me to get the proper answer. Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Your original equation is correct: (n-2) * ((48/n)+3) = 48 +22

I think this is where the algebra error happens:

(n^2-2n) * (48 +3n) = 70

When you multiply both sides of your original equation by n, you should have gotten:

(n-2) * ((48)+3n) = 70n

Does that get you a cleaner quadratic equation?

BTW, when I did this to check your work, my first simplification step was not to multiply through both sides by n. Instead, I just distributed terms first, and then did the multiply of both sides by n:

48 - 96/n + 3n - 6 = 70

etc.

berkeman said:
When you multiply both sides of your original equation by n, you should have gotten:

(n-2) * ((48)+3n) = 70n

i thought when multiplying by the denominator to isolate fractions you had to multiply every term not just the fraction?

why is (n-2) not multiplied by n?

*edit: that worked out - thank you for the help - i thought you had to multiply (n-2) by n as well.. one step and the whole thing is done!

Last edited:
If you multiply ab by n, it is (an)b or a(nb), not (an)(bn)!

alright now I am confused, all was good when i was following the original post, then berke wrote his reply and confused me. berk can you show a little more work on how you figured it out please. i got the same results as buddyboole.

ok i think i figured out what berk ment by the distribution.
i came up with:
3n^2-28n-96=0 is this right?

i found this math site, but it too is confusing the heck outta me :grumpy: http://www.1728.com/quadr2.htm

encase you haven't noticed its been a while since I've done this kinda math :rofl:

Williby said:
ok i think i figured out what berk ment by the distribution.
i came up with:
3n^2-28n-96=0 is this right?

i found this math site, but it too is confusing the heck outta me :grumpy: http://www.1728.com/quadr2.htm

encase you haven't noticed its been a while since I've done this kinda math :rofl:

Yeah, that's correct. And you just use the quadratic formula (the final equation at the bottom of the link you posted) to figure out the answer.

1. What is an algebraic equation?

An algebraic equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables using symbols and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I form an algebraic equation?

To form an algebraic equation, you need to identify the variables involved and the relationships between them. Then, use symbols and mathematical operations to represent these relationships. Remember to follow the rules of algebra when simplifying and solving the equation.

3. What are the different types of algebraic equations?

There are several types of algebraic equations, including linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and logarithmic equations. Each type has its own characteristics and methods for solving.

4. How do I solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means you need to perform the opposite operation of what is being done to the variable. Keep repeating this process until you have solved for the variable.

5. Can I use algebraic equations in real-life situations?

Yes, algebraic equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating distances, rates, and costs. They are also used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics to model and solve problems. Understanding algebraic equations can help you make informed decisions and solve practical problems.