What is the solution to this algebraic problem?

• Thread starter xxpsychoxx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving a complex equation. The participants discuss various methods, such as expanding terms and combining fractions, to find the solution. Eventually, the correct equation is determined and the solution is found to be either x = 0 or x = -3.8.
xxpsychoxx
This question kinda stumped me. Can any1 post the answer with the working and all? Thanks :biggrin:

Show that

[tex]\frac{ 3 \left( \frac{x+5}{x-1} \right) + 4 }{ 4 \left( \frac{x+5}{x-1} \right) + 1 }[/tex] = (3x+11)/{5x+19)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, we don't do your homework for you.

Anyways, you seem to be missing parentheses, did you mean:

[tex]
\frac{ 3 \left( \frac{x+5}{x-1} \right) + 4 }
{ 4 \left( \frac{x+5}{x-1} \right) + 1 }
[/tex]

?

Anyways, what have you tried to do to solve this problem?

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Sorry, we don't do your homework for you.

Anyways, you seem to be missing parentheses, did you mean:

[tex]
\frac{ 3 \left( \frac{x+5}{x-1} \right) + 4 }
{ 4 \left( \frac{x+5}{x-1} \right) + 1 }
[/tex]

?

Anyways, what have you tried to do to solve this problem?

Yes, that's what i meant, but i was unsure on how to write it in that format. Well first, i tried to cross multiply but that's the problem..I'm not sure how to..

Well, in general, cross multiplication says that the equation

p/q = r/s

is equivalent to

ps = qr (with q and s inequal to 0)

Are you having trouble seeing how to make this substitution, or is it the next steps?

yep, it's the substitution that's giving me the problem so far

4((x+5/(x-1))+1 * 3x+11 only this one though

Last edited:
You have to put [ tex ] and [ /tex ] tags (no spaces) around the LaTeX code.

You're missing the ) after x + 5, but I think that's just a typo.

The big thing that you might be doing wrong is that you didn't put parentheses around each of the terms there. What you want is

[tex]
( 4 ( \frac{x+5}{x-1} ) + 1 ) (3x + 11)
[/tex]

[tex](4 ( \frac{x+5}{x-1} + 1 ) (3x+11)[/tex]

hmm ok i think i got the hang of it :cool:
so can you tell me exactly how do i go about multiplying these two terms?

Last edited:
You're missing a parenthesis again!

There are at least two ways to progress from here.

One way is to look at the equation as a whole imagine the complicated thing is replaced by a simple thing; do you know how to expand (4z+1)(3x+11)?

The other way is to look at little pieces. Do you know any way to combine 4 (x+5)/(x-1) + 1 into one term?

hmmm i expanded (4x+1)(3x+11) and got 12x2+47x+11

I'm unsure about the other method

Try the same procedure, but on (4z+1)(3x+11) instead of (4x+1)(3x+11).

(We are justified in making a new letter to represent the fraction (x+5)/(x-1), but it has to be a new letter; replacing the fraction with x won't work)

Oh ok, i thought that was a typo :rolleyes:

Ok i got 12xz+44z+3x+11

That looks right. Now, since z was a substitute for the fraction (x+5)/(x-1), if you substitute the fraction back in for z, you will have successfully multiplied the two terms you had trouble with!

Ohhhhh ok i see :biggrin: Lol i didn't think of it that way. However I am still in a bit of a jam :confused: So I'm left with:

15x-5({x+5}/{x+1}) = 12x({x+5}/{x-1}) + 44({x+5}{x-1}) + 3x + 1

Or something like that :frown:

Last edited:
Well, there are (at least) again two approaches. :)

(a) Combine each side into a single fraction
(b) Clear the denominators (by multiplying both sides by the least common denominator)

And I'm off to bed.

hmmmm, my previous equation was incorrect. Here is the correct one:

57(x+5)/(x-1) + 15x(x+5)/(x-1) +20x + 76 = 12x(x+5)/(x-1) + 44(x+5)/(x-1) + 3x + 11

Then i subtract then get:

[tex]13(\frac{x+5}{x-1}) + 3x(\frac{x+5}{x-1}) = -17x -65[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{13x(x+5) +3x(x+5)}{x+1}[/tex]

Any errors? :redface:

Last edited:
13x doesn't look right

[tex]\frac{13(x+5) +3x(x+5)}{x-1}[/tex]

Oops sorry that's what i meant! OHHHHHHHHH YAY! Thanks a lot ,i'm finally seeing the answer :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I got x is either equal to 0 or -3.8 :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is an algebraic problem?

An algebraic problem is a mathematical question or puzzle that involves using algebraic equations and operations to find a solution. It often involves finding the value of one or more unknown variables.

2. How do I solve an algebraic problem?

To solve an algebraic problem, you need to first identify the unknown variable(s) and set up one or more equations that represent the given information. Then, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate the equations and solve for the unknown variable(s).

3. What are the basic rules of algebra?

The basic rules of algebra include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the rules for combining like terms and solving equations. These rules help us manipulate equations and solve problems in a systematic way.

4. Can algebra be used in real-life situations?

Yes, algebra is a fundamental branch of mathematics that has many real-life applications. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, economics, physics, and computer science to solve problems and make predictions based on data and variables.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic problems include forgetting to apply the order of operations, making sign errors, and not checking your work for accuracy. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.