Domain & Range of 2x^2 + 4x - 3

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the domain and range of the function 2x^2 + 4x - 3. One participant attempted to solve it using a method involving equating the function to zero, but another participant pointed out that this was not necessary and the range and domain are simply the real line. A third participant provided a different method for expressing the function in the form f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k, which can be used to easily determine the maximum and minimum values of the function. The conversation concludes with a clarification on why the first method was incorrect and how the second method is more efficient.
kuahji
Find the domain & range of the function.

2x^2 + 4x - 3

I attempted to solved doing the following

2x^2 + 4x = 3
x^2 + 2x = 3/2 (divided by two)
(x+1)^2 = 5/2 (completed the square & added one to both sides)
(x+1)^2 - 5/2 = 0

So I put the range was (-5/2, infinity), but the book has it (-5, infinity). It seems any problem where the leading coefficient is greater than one, I'm getting incorrect answers. So there must be an error in how I'm trying to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you have equated the function to zero. As it stands, the range and domain is the real line, assuming x and f(x) are real. Are there any conditions on x and/or f?

Figured out the way to do it, sorry.

2x^2 + 4x -3
2x^2 + 4x = 3
2(x^2 + 2x) = 3
2(x+1)^2 = 5
2(x+1)^2 - 5

Even though now I'm kinda curious as to why the first method I tried was incorrect. Like why can't you just divide the whole thing by two.

Well the first time you tried you Assumed that it was equal to zero. And because of that, you changed it to another polynomial, where the co efficients are divided by 2. It has the same ZERO's but different values for other things. The second time you tried you didn't assume anything, you just wrote the expression in another completely equivalent way.

As Gib Z suggested, "2x^2 + 4x - 3" means nothing. Write "f(x) = 2x^2 + 4x - 3" to avoid primary confusion.

Thanks, this explanation helps. :approve:

Well i think it makes sense equating the derivative to zero so that you can find out wether there is a maxima or minima.

After finding the value of x for which there is a maxima or minima then you will have to find the value of the maxima or minima.

Derivatives should not even be considered when determining the domain and range of a real-valued quadratic function. There exists quite an easy way to express [tex]f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, a \not=\ 0[/tex] in the form [tex]f(x) = a(x - h)^2 + k[/tex]. If a is negative, then k is the maximum value of the function, and if it is positive, then k represents the minimum value of the function. The "completing the square" method really is much quicker.

1. What is the domain of the function 2x^2 + 4x - 3?

The domain of a function represents all possible input values or independent variables. For this quadratic function, there are no restrictions on the input values, so the domain is all real numbers or (-∞, ∞).

2. How do you find the range of a quadratic function?

The range of a function represents all possible output values or dependent variables. For a quadratic function in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c, the range can be determined by finding the vertex of the parabola, which is the maximum or minimum point. The range is then the y-value of the vertex.

3. Is the range of 2x^2 + 4x - 3 inclusive or exclusive?

The range of a function can be inclusive or exclusive, depending on whether the endpoints are included in the set of possible output values. For this quadratic function, the range is exclusive, meaning that the maximum or minimum point is not included in the range.

4. Can the range of a quadratic function be negative?

Yes, the range of a quadratic function can be negative. This is because the parabola can open downwards, resulting in a negative y-value for the vertex. However, the domain of a quadratic function can never be negative as it represents all possible input values.

5. How do you graph a quadratic function and identify its domain and range?

To graph a quadratic function, you can plot points, use a table of values, or use the vertex form y = a(x - h)^2 + k where (h, k) is the vertex. The domain can be determined by looking at the x-values of the graph, and the range can be determined by looking at the y-values of the graph or finding the vertex.