Is math research a waste of time?

In summary, I think it is important to do research in whichever field you are interested in, as long as you are making good progress. However, if you are doing research in math, it may not be as important to the physics admissions people as doing research in physics.
anonymous188
Is math research a waste of time for a physics major?

Hey everybody,

I will be starting my fourth and final year this Fall as an undergraduate with physics and math majors. Since in a couple of months I need to start my applications for physics grad school, I'm currently stressing out about what I need to do.

I've heard many people stress how important research as an undergraduate is. My problem is that it seems I have more opportunities doing research in math than in physics. Since last year (Fall '06), I started doing work in an undergraduate physics research position. The progress is slow, however, and it will probably not be done until the end of the next semester (Fall '07). Right now, I'm in an 8-week math research program that will be done a week from this Friday.

My math professor recently asked if I wanted to do another one of these programs that would last the entire semester, with the intent on continuing research on the same topic. My question is: Is having done math research not important in the eyes of the physics admissions people? Should I say yes to this opportunity, or should I try to do something else (i.e. original physics research)? Any help would be much appreciated.

-Alex W.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Changed the title so it's not as misleading. Change didn't show up on main page, though.

I don't think anything research-wise would be a waste of time if something comes out of it (i.e. good reccomendation letter from people you work with, maybe the faculty member you work with will even get it published).

Thanks for the reply. I've done the same reasoning, but in the back of my mind it seems like I should do something more physics related. What about getting a recommendation from a math professor rather than a physics professor? Any thoughts?

Well didn't you say you are doing physics research (ending Fall 07" as well? In that case, you will have letters from math & physics professors. Correct?

Correct. Maybe I'm overthinking this a little too much. I should probably just be content that I am where I am.

Thanks for the replies.

1. Is math research really necessary?

Yes, math research is necessary because it helps us understand the world around us and find solutions to complex problems. It has practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. Does math research only benefit mathematicians?

No, the benefits of math research extend far beyond the field of mathematics. Many technological advancements and scientific breakthroughs have been made possible through mathematical research.

3. Is math research a waste of time if it doesn't have immediate practical applications?

No, not all research has immediate practical applications. Some discoveries may not have a tangible impact for years, but they can still contribute to the overall advancement of knowledge and understanding.

4. Can't we just rely on existing mathematical theories and formulas instead of doing research?

While existing theories and formulas are important, they only provide a limited understanding of the world. Math research allows us to push the boundaries of knowledge and potentially discover new and more accurate theories and formulas.

5. How does funding math research benefit society?

Funding math research can have a wide range of benefits for society. It can lead to technological advancements, improve our understanding of the natural world, and help us solve complex problems. Additionally, many jobs and industries rely on the application of mathematical research, contributing to economic growth and development.