Solving Free-Falling Body Homework on Moon Base I

In summary, the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon's surface is calculated using the formula: a = GM / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Moon, and r is the distance from the center of the Moon to the object's position. The equation for calculating the velocity of a free-falling body on the Moon is v = gt, where g is the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon and t is the time the object has been falling. The acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is approximately 1/6th of that on Earth due to the Moon's smaller mass and radius. Air resistance does not affect the motion of a free-falling body on the Moon because the Moon
Edwardo_Elric

Homework Statement

A lunar lander is making its descent to the moon Base I. THe lander descends slowly under the reto-thrust of its descent engine. The engine is cut off when the lander is 5.0m above the surface and has a downward speed of 1.5m/s. With the engine off, the lander is in free fall. What is the speed of the lander just before it touches the surface? The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is 1.6m/s^2

Homework Equations

i used
[tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2g(y - y_0)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

required is speed:
[tex]V = \sqrt{(1.5m/s)^2 + 2(1.6m/s^2)(5.0m)}[/tex]
Speed = 4.27m/s

i don't know about this but what I am confused is that will the gravity be positive when you need a scalar?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edwardo_Elric said:

Homework Statement

A lunar lander is making its descent to the moon Base I. THe lander descends slowly under the reto-thrust of its descent engine. The engine is cut off when the lander is 5.0m above the surface and has a downward speed of 1.5m/s. With the engine off, the lander is in free fall. What is the speed of the lander just before it touches the surface? The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is 1.6m/s^2

Homework Equations

i used
[tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2g(y - y_0)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

required is speed:
[tex]V = \sqrt{(1.5m/s)^2 + 2(1.6m/s^2)(5.0m)}[/tex]
Speed = 4.27m/s

i don't know about this but what I am confused is that will the gravity be positive when you need a scalar?
Velocity, acceleration, and displacement are vector quantities. You chose downward as the positive direction. You could have chosen downward as the negative direction, in which case your equation would have read:
[tex]V = \sqrt{-1.5m/s)^2 + 2(-1.6m/s^2)(-5.0m)}[/tex]
and you get the same result for V.

are u sure?
and thanks alot
speed is velocity in this problem?

Last edited:
Edwardo_Elric said:
are u sure?
and thanks alot
speed is velocity in this problem?
No, the velocity is 4.27m/s downward. The speed is the magnitude of the velocity, or 4.27m/s.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon's surface?

The acceleration due to gravity on the Moon's surface is calculated using the formula:
a = GM / r2
Where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), M is the mass of the Moon (7.35 x 10^22 kg), and r is the distance from the center of the Moon to the object's position.

2. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a free-falling body on the Moon?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a free-falling body on the Moon is:
v = gt
Where g is the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon and t is the time the object has been falling.

3. How does the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon compare to that on Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is approximately 1/6th of that on Earth. This is because the Moon has a smaller mass and radius compared to Earth, resulting in a weaker gravitational pull.

4. Does air resistance affect the motion of a free-falling body on the Moon?

No, air resistance does not affect the motion of a free-falling body on the Moon. This is because the Moon has no atmosphere, so there is no air to create resistance against the falling object.

5. How does the weight of an object on the Moon compare to its weight on Earth?

An object's weight on the Moon is approximately 1/6th of its weight on Earth. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and since the acceleration due to gravity is weaker on the Moon, the object will weigh less.