Classical music deters anti-social behavior at transit centers?

In summary, speakers are being installed at the Tacoma Mall Transit Center to transmit classical music in order to reduce the number of young hooligans who deal or buy drugs at the bus stop or use public transportation as an easy way to circulate between the mall and other trouble-prone places.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - Believing gangs and Mozart don't mix, city police and Pierce Transit officials are mounting a classical attack on a growing problem of street gangs at bus stops.

This week speakers are being installed to transmit classical music from KING FM radio of Seattle at the Tacoma Mall Transit Center, a tactic designed to reduce the number of young hooligans who deal or buy drugs at the bus stop or use public transportation as an easy way to circulate between the mall and other trouble-prone places...

Studies in other cities indicate classical music deters anti-social behavior at transit centers, Baker said...
http://www.komotv.com/news/local/8810622.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Likewise, playing hip-hop on your porch will shoo off pesky elderlies with their rocking chairs.

I wouldn't recommend "Ride of the Valkyries" or anything else by Wagner to be played, though..

Thats crazy, simple ideas to complicated problems.

Reminds me of the "calming" pink paint in correctional institutions.

arildno said:
I wouldn't recommend "Ride of the Valkyries" or anything else by Wagner to be played, though..

When I was in college, I woke up from a nap (after an all-nighter) distinctly hearing "And who, dressed as Clark Kent...". It turned out the guy in the room next to me was playing the "Ride of the Valkyries"!

(And if you understand that, you are as God-awful old as I am!)

Hanae4fun said:
Thats crazy, simple ideas to complicated problems.
Actually, colours and sounds DO in subtle ways influence emotions and can gently guide them in certain directions.

Artists throughout the history have known that.

HallsofIvy said:
When I was in college, I woke up from a nap (after an all-nighter) distinctly hearing "And who, dressed as Clark Kent...". It turned out the guy in the room next to me was playing the "Ride of the Valkyries"!

(And if you understand that, you are as God-awful old as I am!)

I'm not, nor am I American. My mind has been busy to see what Superman has to do with the Ride of the Valkyries, but I have been unable to solve the puzzle you posed..:cry::cry:

Could you please enlighten me; I'm intrigued..

out of whack said:
Likewise, playing hip-hop on your porch will shoo off pesky elderlies with their rocking chairs.

A long time ago I saw a cartoon in a hi-fi magazine showing a man in a natty business suit walking along with a boombox perched on his shoulder. Two ghetto dudes are watching him, and one of them says something like, "Oh no, here comes that dude with the Olivier Messiaen again!"

(I have to admit that Messiaen would probably shoo off most of the pesky elderlies as well as the hip-hop types...)

What is classical music and how is it used to deter anti-social behavior at transit centers?

Classical music is a genre of music that originated in Europe during the 11th century. It is characterized by complex musical compositions and instrumental arrangements. In recent years, classical music has been used as a form of environmental design to deter anti-social behavior at transit centers. This involves playing classical music through speakers in public spaces, such as train stations and bus stops, to create a more pleasant atmosphere and discourage undesirable behavior.

How does classical music deter anti-social behavior at transit centers?

Studies have shown that the calming and sophisticated nature of classical music can have a positive impact on people's behavior. When played in public spaces, it can create a more peaceful and pleasant environment, making people less likely to engage in disruptive or aggressive behavior. It may also discourage loitering and vandalism, as people are less likely to engage in these activities in a more refined setting.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of classical music in deterring anti-social behavior at transit centers?

Yes, there have been several studies conducted on the use of classical music to deter anti-social behavior at transit centers. One study found that playing classical music in a train station reduced the number of reported crimes by 33%. Another study showed that playing classical music in a shopping center reduced vandalism and theft by 37%. These findings suggest that classical music can be an effective tool in promoting a more peaceful and orderly environment in public spaces.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using classical music to deter anti-social behavior at transit centers?

While classical music has been shown to have a positive impact on behavior, it may not be a foolproof solution. Some people may not respond to it, and others may even find it irritating. Additionally, continuously playing classical music in a public space may become costly and may not be a feasible long-term solution. It is important to consider other strategies in addition to classical music to address anti-social behavior at transit centers.

Are there any other forms of music that have been used to deter anti-social behavior at transit centers?

Yes, other genres of music, such as jazz and classical crossover, have also been used to deter anti-social behavior at transit centers. These genres are also known for their calming and sophisticated nature and have shown similar effects in promoting a more peaceful environment. Additionally, some transit centers have experimented with playing nature sounds or white noise to reduce unwanted behavior. Ultimately, the effectiveness of any type of music in deterring anti-social behavior may vary depending on the specific environment and individuals involved.

Back