Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a chemistry computer program that can draw organic molecules and be inserted into Word documents. Suggestions for programs such as Chemdraw, BKchem, and ChemSketch are provided, with instructions on how to use them. It is also mentioned that some universities may provide such software for free download in student accounts.
unique_pavadrin
to whom may read this,
i was desperately looking for a chemistry computer program which allows me to draw organic molecules, methane, trans-1,2-dichloroethene, cyclopentene, etc. with the bonds in them. Here is an example of what i would like the program to draw:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9854/organicexampleol8.jpg

If possible i would like to have the molecules it draws to be able to be placed into Word documents 07, as that is where i write my labs. If anyone knows of such a program, could they please relpy to this post, i have been fruitlessly looking for the past 2 weeks.
Many thanks,

unique_pavadrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Chemdraw (from CambridgeSoft).

A free program is available. It is BKchem and is available HERE:

http://bkchem.zirael.org/download_en.html

I would click on the 'Windows installer of the last stable release' hotlink.

thank you for the replies. ChemDraw is a little excessive to what i want, while BKchem is perfect, just need to learn how to use it :P
thanks once again
unique_pavadrin

Hi,

I want to draw a complicated chemical compound using latex. I think the best way is to draw it using chemdraw or BKchem, and then I got a picture (graphic). How can I put that graphic into Latex? (I use TexnicCenter).I know this
\includegraphics{myimage.png}

But I don't know where myimage.png comes from. Do I have to provide the path, or anything?

Thank a lot.

The picture file, myimage.png, needs to live in the same folder as the LaTeX source that you are compiling.

Shadowz said:
Hi,

I want to draw a complicated chemical compound using latex. I think the best way is to draw it using chemdraw or BKchem, and then I got a picture (graphic). How can I put that graphic into Latex? (I use TexnicCenter).

I know this
\includegraphics{myimage.png}

But I don't know where myimage.png comes from. Do I have to provide the path, or anything?

Thank a lot.

You want Latex do you? You dirty devil you...

a program that is good to and is freeware i think is ChemSketch from ACDLabs i ha da link but i don't know where i put it lol
is good to simple quests, the hirgher limitation is to draw multi aromatic compounds like 3 conjugated benzenes

If you are attending a University, they generally provide such programs for free download in your student account.

Wax said:
If you are attending a University, they generally provide such programs for free download in your student account.

You must go to a really nice university. Although my undergraduate institution (a state school) did provide us access to software like Matlab, Mathematica, and ChemDraw, we had to go to the computer labs to use them. They did not provide us with copies to use on our personal computers.

Ygggdrasil said:
You must go to a really nice university. Although my undergraduate institution (a state school) did provide us access to software like Matlab, Mathematica, and ChemDraw, we had to go to the computer labs to use them. They did not provide us with copies to use on our personal computers.

How many students are at your University? If you have 25,000+ students, then I'm almost positive you have it included with your tech fee. Most people at my University didn't know this because all anyone ever does on their student account is register their next semester courses and check their grades. Just spend an extra 15 minutes to check out all your other options, I'm sure it's there. Chemdraw was one of the programs included but I never downloaded it, instead I opted for a free version of Microsoft Office, Windows Vista Enterprise, and Windows Vista Ultimate. (Undergraduate State School) :biggrin:

Last edited:
Bringing this up from it's slumber. We had Mathematica and Matlab at our state university for free but on at the labs as well. No personal copies.. BKCHEM is exactly what I was looking for in my own research. Thanks, David

1. What is a "Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program"?

A Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program is a computer software designed specifically for chemists and scientists to draw and visualize organic molecules. It allows users to create accurate and detailed representations of chemical structures, as well as perform various calculations and analyses.

2. What features does a Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program typically have?

Some common features of a Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program include the ability to draw and manipulate chemical structures, generate 3D models, calculate molecular properties, and predict chemical reactions. It may also include a database of pre-drawn molecules and functional groups for ease of use.

3. How is a Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program useful for scientific research?

A Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program is a valuable tool for scientific research as it allows for the creation of accurate and detailed visual representations of chemical structures. This can aid in understanding the properties and behavior of molecules, as well as predicting and analyzing chemical reactions. It can also save time and resources by allowing for virtual testing and experimentation.

4. Is a Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Program suitable for beginners?

While some programs may have a steeper learning curve, there are many Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Programs that are designed for beginners and are user-friendly. These programs often have tutorials and help features to assist users in learning how to use the software effectively.

5. Are there any free Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Programs available?

Yes, there are several free Chemistry Organic Molecule Drawing Programs available for download online. Some examples include ChemSketch, MarvinSketch, and ACD/ChemSketch. These programs may have limited features compared to paid versions, but they can still be useful for basic molecule drawing and visualization.