Help on Electromagnetic Induction concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electromagnetic induction and the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It presents a thought experiment with two observers, Jack and Jill, in different coordinate systems, and their conclusions regarding the forces acting on a charged particle. Ultimately, it concludes that a time-varying magnetic field is always accompanied by a time-varying electric field. This concept is considered advanced and the textbook may not have explained it well. Recommendations for alternative textbooks are also mentioned.
darkwhite87
This is the material i read from textbook, and it doesn't make any sense to me! can somebody please help me out if they can understand the concept:

To understand electromagnetic induction, we need to reconsider the concepts of electric
and magnetic fields.

A dc current I flowing through a stationary contour C in a coordinate system
(x, y, z) produces a magnetic flux density field B. Let us look at a charged particle Q
moving at a velocity v with respect to contour C. We add a second coordinate system
(x', y', z') that moves together with the charge Q, that is, with respect to which Q is
stationary.

In our thought experiment we have two observers (electrical engineers or physicists,
of course), one stationary in (x, y, z), and the other in (xf, yf, z'). They are interested
in measuring the electric and magnetic forces acting on the charged particle

Let Jack be in the first coordinate system. His instruments record a force acting
on a moving particle. He concludes that the charge is experiencing a magnetic force
F = Qv x B, since it is moving in a time-invariant magnetic field. If the charge stops,
there is no force. Therefore, Jack's conclusion is that in his system there is no electric
field.

Jill, in the second coordinate system, comes to a different conclusion. She also
measures a force, proportional to Q, acting on the charge. However, for her the charge
is not moving. Therefore, she concludes that the force she measured is an electric one,
F = QE.
She notices, of course, that this force is time-varying. She also notices that in
her system there is a time-varying magnetic field (since the source I of the magnetic
field is moving with respect to her coordinate system). Thus, Jill's conclusion is that in
her coordinate system both a time-varying electric field and a time-varying magnetic
field exist.

Let us rephrase the important conclusion we reached: a time-varying magnetic
field is accompanied by a time-varying electric field. We found this to be true in the
case of motion of the observer with respect to the source of a time-invariant magnetic
field. We shall now argue that a time-varying magnetic field is always accompanied
by a time-varying electric field, no matter what the cause of the variation of the field
is.

In red is the part which i don't get, if the charge is not moving with respect to her, how can she conclude there is a electric force??

Physics news on Phys.org
That's how she concludes. Since it's not moving (to her) and there IS a force, and since only motion causes forces on charges in magnetic fields, it MUST be an electric field.

The next line says: " she notices, of course, that this force is time-varying. She also notices that in her system there is a time-varying magnetic field (since the source I of the magnetic field is moving with ..." So, the moving source of I is the cause of the electric field that Jill concludes must be there.

They sure make you guys jump through hoops in school these days.

Paulanddiw said:
They sure make you guys jump through hoops in school these days.
That a magnetic field is just a relativistic view of an electric field is a fairly advanced concept.

Wow!

The measurement of either electricity or magnetism depending on relative velocity is, of course, well known. But, I have to point out that the person who wrote this textbook has done physics a great disservice. May I suggest either Jackson or Lorrain and Corson? Or, of course, the good old book, Feynman Lecures II.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is a process where a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. It is based on Faraday's law of induction, which states that the voltage induced in a closed loop is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

What are the applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has a wide range of applications, including generators, motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging, metal detection, and magnetic levitation.

How is electromagnetic induction related to the concept of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetic induction is a phenomenon that is closely related to the principles of electromagnetism. It is a result of the interaction between electricity and magnetism, which are two fundamental forces of nature.

What are the factors that affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the number of turns in the conducting loop. It also depends on the material and the shape of the conductor.

How does electromagnetic induction contribute to the generation of electricity?

Electromagnetic induction is the principle behind the operation of power plants and generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. The rotating motion of a turbine causes a magnetic field to move, which induces a current in a conductor, producing electricity.