Calculating G using Kepler's Third Law: The Relationship Between k, a, and P

In summary, the value of Newton's constant of gravitation, G, in the AU-Msun-year system is 4π^2 (years)^-2 (AU)^3 (solar masses)^-1. To convert to SI units, it would be 6.672×10^-11 m^3/s^2/kg, which is comparable to the published value of 6.673×10^-11 m^3/s^2/kg.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Using astronomical units as the unit of length , years as the time , and the mass of the Sun as the unit of mass , the value for k in kepler's third law is 1. In these units , what is the value of Newton's constant of gravitation G?

Homework Equations

P^2 =k*a^3
P^2= 4*pi^2*a^3/(G(m(1)+m(2))
Possibly k=4*pi^2/G*M(sun)
P is the period

The Attempt at a Solution

since k = 1 and k =4*pi^2/G*M(sun), all I have to do is switch variables. k=4*pi^2/(G*M(sun)) => 4*pi^2/(M(sun))=G , but I found that method to be a problem because the G I calculated isn't equal the universal Gravitational constant we are all familar with.

Physics news on Phys.org
So taking the mass of the sun as 1 solar mass... your answer should be [tex]G = 4{\pi}^2 (years)^{-2}(AU)^3(solar masses)^{-1}[/tex]

To check that this is the same G you need to convert units...

The universal gravitational constant has units. The value with which you are familiar, [tex]6.6730\times10^{-11}[/tex] is in units of [tex]m^3/kg/s^2[/tex]. The value differs when you change the system of units. For example, G is [tex]7.616\times10^{-5}[/tex] in the ever-popular furlongs-fortnights-stones system. You are asked to specify G in the AU-Msun-year system. The answer is not [tex]6.6730\times10^{-11}[/tex].

D H said:
The universal gravitational constant has units. The value with which you are familiar, [tex]6.6730\times10^{-11}[/tex] is in units of [tex]m^3/kg/s^2[/tex]. The value differs when you change the system of units. For example, G is [tex]7.616\times10^{-5}[/tex] in the ever-popular furlongs-fortnights-stones system. You are asked to specify G in the AU-Msun-year system. The answer is not [tex]6.6730\times10^{-11}[/tex].

Are my equations correct? I just need to convert my units to SI units?

Benzoate said:
Are my equations correct? I just need to convert my units to SI units?

Yes, I think the equations are right. just convert the units.

Your instructor did not ask for the value of G in SI (MKS) units. He asked for it in AU-solar mass-year units. Learning physics gave you the answer in these units post #2.

You only need to convert to SI if you want to verify that your answer is correct. If you do the conversion right, you will get [itex]6.672\times10^{-11}\text{m}^3/\text{sec}^2/\text{kg}[/tex], which compares very favorably with the published value of [itex]6.673\times10^{-11}\text{m}^3/\text{sec}^2/\text{kg}[/tex].

1. What is Kepler's Third Law and how is it related to calculating G?

Kepler's Third Law states that the square of a planet's orbital period (P) is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis (a) of its orbit. This law can be used to calculate the gravitational constant (G) by rearranging the equation to solve for G.

2. What is the value of k in Kepler's Third Law and how is it calculated?

K is a constant in the equation for Kepler's Third Law and has a value of approximately 4π2. It can be calculated by taking the square of the orbital period (P) in seconds and dividing it by the cube of the semi-major axis (a) in meters.

3. What is the relation between k, a, and P in Kepler's Third Law?

The relationship between k, a, and P in Kepler's Third Law can be expressed as k = (4π2)/(a3/P2). This means that k is directly proportional to the ratio of a3 and P2.

4. Can Kepler's Third Law be used to calculate G for any object in orbit?

Yes, Kepler's Third Law can be used to calculate G for any object in orbit, as long as its orbital period (P) and semi-major axis (a) are known.

5. How accurate is the value of G calculated using Kepler's Third Law?

The value of G calculated using Kepler's Third Law is accurate to a certain extent. It may vary slightly due to factors such as the eccentricity of the orbit and the presence of other objects in the system. However, it is a useful method for estimating G and can provide a fairly accurate value.