Rectification and fluctuating DC

• Thread starter Mr_Bojingles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, the purpose of rectification is to convert an alternating current (AC) into a direct current (DC) by using diodes, which act as one-way valves for electrical current. There are two types of rectification: half-wave and full-wave, and each has its own advantages. The flicker fusion frequency of the human eye is around 70-80Hz, so a fluctuating DC current can still power a light without being perceived as flickering. However, using a capacitor in a full-wave bridge filter circuit can reduce the ripple in the current and create a smoother output. Additionally, there are methods such as using multiple AC phases or increasing the AC frequency to further reduce ripple in the current.
Mr_Bojingles
Does rectification of AC into DC with the use of diodes always create a fluctuating DC wave? Are there methods of rectification which create a steady DC current or do you always have to smooth the current out afterwards?

I'm having a hard time grasping the concept of half-wave and full-wave rectification. Are there any advantages to half-wave rectification or is it only used because it's a simpler method of rectification?

Wikipedia has good diagrams of half-wave and full-wave rectification circuits.
500px-Halfwave.rectifier.en.png

500px-Gratz.rectifier.en.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The key to understanding rectification is to undersand the behavior of a diode. Have you read through this wikipedia page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode'

Let us know if you have questions about how a diode works, and that will help you understand the rectifiers that you are asking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read about most common electronic components on wikipedia but I still don't fully understand diodes and when it comes to transistors I'm completely lost.

The only thing I really understand about diodes is that they are the electronic equivalent of a one way valve in a water pipe system. I have no idea what the purpose of diodes are in a DC current. Before I get into semiconductor diodes and LED's I want to learn the purpose of regular diodes in AC and DC circuits.

I can see why an AC current flowing through a diode would create a half wave rectification. I haven't tried to understand full wave rectification circuits yet. Would a fluctuating DC current perform as well as a steady DC current in a basic circuit like a flash light? I'd imagine a half wave DC current would make the light flicker since the voltage constantly goes on and off but would a full-wave DC current power the light bulb the exact same way a steady non fluctuating current would?

Mr_Bojingles said:
IThe only thing I really understand about diodes is that they are the electronic equivalent of a one way valve in a water pipe system. I have no idea what the purpose of diodes are in a DC current.

lessee AC corrent alternates direction. it goes back and forth.

DC current is in only one direction. does not go back and forth.

might a one-way valve be useful in coaxing something that alternates direction into something that flows in only one direction?

Mr_Bojingles said:
I've read about most common electronic components on wikipedia but I still don't fully understand diodes and when it comes to transistors I'm completely lost.

The only thing I really understand about diodes is that they are the electronic equivalent of a one way valve in a water pipe system. I have no idea what the purpose of diodes are in a DC current. Before I get into semiconductor diodes and LED's I want to learn the purpose of regular diodes in AC and DC circuits.

The one-way valve is a reasonable analogy. Basically you get no back-current through the diode.

Mr_Bojingles said:
I can see why an AC current flowing through a diode would create a half wave rectification. I haven't tried to understand full wave rectification circuits yet. Would a fluctuating DC current perform as well as a steady DC current in a basic circuit like a flash light? I'd imagine a half wave DC current would make the light flicker since the voltage constantly goes on and off but would a full-wave DC current power the light bulb the exact same way a steady non fluctuating current would?

If the DC current is fluctuation, but never going in reverse, then the diode stays forward biased, and the only effect is that you get about a 0.7V forward drop across it.

You can drive a light with an AC or fluctuating DC current, and as long as the fluctuations are at a frequency above the "flicker fusion frequency" of the human eye (around 70-80Hz, I think for most people), then no flicker will be perceived.

Berkeman overlooked that a filament in a flashlight lightbulb is a slowly responding load. It won't flicker using halfwave rectified voltage at 50 or 60Hz, because the supply pulses more rapidly than the filament has time to heat up and cool down. It is also a simple way to make a dimming switch. Using a fullwave supply for bright light and halfwave supply for dimmer light.

To further help you understand rectifier circuits, here are some http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/4.html

Ouabache said:
Berkeman overlooked that a filament in a flashlight lightbulb is a slowly responding load. It won't flicker using halfwave rectified voltage at 50 or 60Hz, because the supply pulses more rapidly than the filament has time to heat up and cool down. [/url]

Yes, good point. Thanks for pointing that out, Ouabache.

There is a circuit configuration called Fullwave bridge filter circuit. A capacitor is used between the output and load. This reduces the ripple and smooths out the current.

You should look into this.

pooface said:
There is a circuit configuration called Fullwave bridge filter circuit. A capacitor is used between the output and load. This reduces the ripple and smooths out the current.
Does one have a link.

I found this - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/4.html

I think there will always be some ripple. In addition to pooface's recommendation, there are system using multiple AC phases in which each is separately rectivity, and one can always increase the AC frequency to high frequencies. One does not have to be constrained to 50/60 Hz if the generator is isolated/alone.

1. What is rectification and how does it work?

Rectification is the process of converting an alternating current (AC) into a direct current (DC) by using a device called a rectifier. This device allows current to flow in one direction, resulting in a steady flow of current rather than the back and forth movement of AC. This is achieved by using a diode, which only allows current to flow in one direction, or by using a combination of diodes called a bridge rectifier.

2. What are the different types of rectifiers?

There are two main types of rectifiers: half-wave and full-wave. Half-wave rectifiers use one diode to convert AC to DC, resulting in a pulsating DC output. Full-wave rectifiers use a combination of diodes, such as a bridge rectifier, to convert AC to DC, resulting in a smoother DC output.

3. What is the purpose of using rectification?

The purpose of using rectification is to convert AC to DC for various electronic devices and applications. Most electronic devices, such as smartphones and laptops, require DC power to operate. Rectification also helps to smooth out the current, making it more stable and consistent.

4. What is fluctuating DC and how does it differ from steady DC?

Fluctuating DC, also known as pulsating DC, is a type of DC current that has a varying voltage, resulting in a fluctuating output. This is in contrast to steady DC, which has a constant voltage and output. Fluctuating DC is typically produced by half-wave rectifiers, while steady DC is produced by full-wave rectifiers.

5. How is rectification and fluctuating DC used in everyday life?

Rectification and fluctuating DC are used in a variety of everyday electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and power adapters. They are also used in power supplies for industrial equipment and in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels, to convert AC to DC for use in homes and buildings.