Independent Sets of Cycles proof Involves Combinations

In summary, we need to prove that for a cycle with n vertices, the number of independent sets of size k is equal to the number of independent sets of size k in a cycle with n-1 vertices plus the number of independent sets of size k-1 in a cycle with n-2 vertices. This can be shown through mathematical induction, where the base case is k=2 and the inductive step is to show that the statement holds for k+1. By the Principle of Mathematical Induction, we can conclude that this statement holds for all k>1.
rbzima

Homework Statement

Let [tex]C_n[/tex] Recalling our notation from class, we know that [tex]I_0(C_n) = 1[/tex] and [tex]I_1(C_n) = n.[/tex] Prove that for [tex]k > 1,[/tex]

[tex]I_k(C_n)=\left(\frac{n}{k}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-k-1}{k-1}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]I_k[/tex] implies number of independent sets of size k
[tex]C_n[/tex] implies the cycle with n vertices.
Therefore, [tex]I_k(C_n)[/tex] implies the number of independent sets of size k in some cycle with n vertices.
[tex]I_k\left(C_n\right)=I_k\left(C_{n-1}\right)+I_{k-1}\left(C_{n-2}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked through the algebra to a point where it becomes rather disheartening, and it seems to be getting no where whatsoever. I've tried thinking of a combinatorial proof for this, however cannot come up with any scenario to think of or how it might be applied in this instance. If anyone can simply lead me in the right direction, that would be totally fantastic!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Base Case: k = 2I_2(C_n) = \left(\frac{n}{2}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-2-1}{2-1}\right)I_2(C_n) = \left(\frac{n}{2}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-3}{1}\right)I_2(C_n) = \frac{n(n-3)}{2}Inductive Hypothesis: Assume for some k>1, I_k(C_n)=\left(\frac{n}{k}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-k-1}{k-1}\right)Inductive Step: Show that for k+1, I_{k+1}(C_n)=\left(\frac{n}{k+1}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-k-2}{k}\right)I_{k+1}(C_n)=I_{k+1}(C_{n-1})+I_k(C_{n-2})=\left(\frac{n-1}{k+1}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-1-k-2}{k}\right)+\left(\frac{n-2}{k}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-2-k-1}{k-1}\right)=\frac{(n-1)(n-k-2)}{k+1}+\frac{(n-2)(n-k-1)}{k}=\frac{n(n-k-2)+(n-1)(n-k-1)}{k+1}=\frac{n(n-k-1)}{k+1}Therefore, I_{k+1}(C_n)=\left(\frac{n}{k+1}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-k-2}{k}\right)By the Principle of Mathematical Induction, we can conclude that for all k>1, I_k(C_n)=\left(\frac{n}{k}\right)\left(\stackrel{n-k-1}{k-1}\right)

1. What is an independent set of cycles?

An independent set of cycles refers to a set of cycles in a graph where no two cycles share a common edge. In other words, each cycle in the set is unique and does not overlap with any other cycle.

2. How is the proof involving combinations used in independent sets of cycles?

The proof involving combinations is used to show that the number of independent sets of cycles in a graph can be calculated by using a combination formula. This formula takes into account the number of vertices in the graph as well as the number of cycles in the independent set.

3. Can you give an example of a proof involving combinations in independent sets of cycles?

Sure, let's say we have a graph with 5 vertices and 3 cycles. The number of independent sets of cycles in this graph can be calculated using the combination formula (n choose k), where n is the number of vertices (5) and k is the number of cycles (3). This would give us 10 possible independent sets of cycles in the graph.

4. What is the significance of independent sets of cycles?

Independent sets of cycles are important in graph theory because they can be used to represent and analyze various networks, such as computer networks, social networks, and transportation networks. They also have applications in areas such as coding theory and combinatorics.

5. Are there any limitations to the proof involving combinations in independent sets of cycles?

One limitation is that the proof only works for simple graphs, meaning there are no multiple edges or loops. Additionally, the proof assumes that all cycles in the independent set have the same length, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.