Measuring underwater electricity

In summary, the conversation discusses the current in a series circuit involving 2 9v batteries, a fish tank filled with water, and an ammeter. It is confirmed that the current registered in the ammeter is the same as the current in the water, as the fish tank is part of the circuit. The resistance of the water depends on the contaminants and probe tip geometry.
Kramjit
Suppose I connect 2 9v batteries (for example) in series with a fish tank (30mm x 30mm x 20mm) containing water and an ammeter, is the current registered the same as the current in the water? I should think so but I am not sure.

The copper wires-cum-electrode being positioned at either ends.

Much thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the fish tank would carry the circuit current. The resistance of the tank would be dependent on the contaminates in the water and the geometry of your probe tips.

Kramjit said:
Suppose I connect 2 9v batteries (for example) in series with a fish tank (30mm x 30mm x 20mm) containing water and an ammeter, is the current registered the same as the current in the water? I should think so but I am not sure.

The copper wires-cum-electrode being positioned at either ends.

Much thanks

Because the fish tank is in series with the circuit, all the circuit current must travel through the water. So yes, it is the same current.

Surely you don't have a 30mm x 30mm x 20mm fish tank. What are you doing?

1. How is underwater electricity measured?

Underwater electricity is typically measured using specialized equipment such as underwater sensors and probes. These devices are designed to withstand the unique challenges of an aquatic environment, such as high pressure and corrosion. They can measure various parameters such as voltage, current, and resistance to determine the presence and strength of underwater electricity.

2. What are the applications of measuring underwater electricity?

Measuring underwater electricity has a wide range of applications, including marine research, underwater construction and maintenance, and monitoring the health of aquatic animals. It is also crucial for detecting and preventing potential hazards such as electric shocks in underwater environments.

3. How does underwater electricity differ from regular electricity?

Underwater electricity is very similar to regular electricity, with the main difference being the medium in which it is present. Water is a conductor of electricity, and therefore, can carry electric currents like a wire. However, the presence of salt and minerals in water can affect its conductivity and make underwater electricity more complex to measure and understand.

4. What factors can affect the measurement of underwater electricity?

Several factors can affect the measurement of underwater electricity, including temperature, salinity, and depth. These parameters can impact the conductivity of water and, therefore, alter the readings obtained from the measuring equipment. It is essential to consider and calibrate for these factors when measuring underwater electricity accurately.

5. What are the safety precautions for measuring underwater electricity?

Working with underwater electricity can be hazardous, and it is crucial to take necessary safety precautions to avoid electric shocks. It is recommended to use insulated equipment and wear appropriate protective gear, such as rubber gloves and boots. It is also essential to have proper training and knowledge of handling electrical equipment in underwater environments.