10 light-year journey in one year

• Thread starter msimmons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the spacecraft will travel 10 light years from Earth to a nearby star with a one-way trip lasting one year and one day. The system support will last one year and one day.
msimmons

Homework Statement

Plans are made to send a spacecraft from Earth to a nearby start 10 light years away. The system support will last one year and one day. The trip is one way trip.

a) What speed must the craft travel to arrive at the star with battery power for one day to make the measurement? (aka, you have one year.)

b) For the reference frame with the spacecraft , what is the distance between the Earth and the star? (so how far does it go that it measures?)

Homework Equations

As far as I know only
[tex]t'=(t-vx/c^2)\gamma[/tex]
[tex]x'=(x-vc)\gamma[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=(1-v^2/c^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, from what I can gather the Earth is in the x' frame and the spacecraft is in the x frame.
So t=1, and x' = 10ly

solving the t' equation for t , then pushing it into the x' equation I get (assuming I didn't make any silly mistakes)
[tex]x'=(x(1+v^2/c^2))\gamma-vt'[/tex]
which won't work because I have two unknowns, (x and v). solving the other way around (first x' for x, then putting it into the t' eqn) I get
[tex]t'=(t(1+xv^2/c^2))\gamma-x'v^2/c^2[/tex]
which predictably arrives at the same conclusion.

So my approach is wrong, but I can't figure out how else to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
no, I think the supplies are consumed in 1 year of *proper time* in the spaceship.
The duration t2' -t1' ... (=Dt') has to be gamma factor *shorter*
than the time in any other reference frame.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I know the 1 year is in proper time of the spaceship, but I thought that would make it the unprimed frame and the Earth the primed frame. is that backwards?

the time interval between any two events is *dilated* in all *non-proper* frames.
The first equation you have for your PRIMED frame has :
(t2' - t1') = (t2g -vxg ) - (t1g - vxg ) ... ~ (t2 - t1)g , so IT is dilated by gamma.

Ok, forget primed and unprimed and just think of SR principles. The distance to the star in the Earth frame is 10 LY. However, in the spaceship's frame, the ruler used to measure that distance will be length contracted, so the astronauts will say that they are traveling a shorter distance, namely [tex]\frac{10 LY}{\gamma}=10 LY\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]. The fuel supply gives one year in the rocket's frame. So both the mission control on Earth and the astronauts on the rocket will agree on their relative speed, so let's just invoke the simple kinematic equation [tex]v=\frac{d}{\Delta t}[/tex] which applies in both frames but we must be sure to use [tex]d[/tex] and [tex]\Delta t[/tex] for the same frame. From earth, the rocket travels a longer distance for a longer time, and from the rocket, it travels a shorter distance for a shorter time, but still at the same speed. So we have [tex]v=\frac{10 LY\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}{1 yr}\Longrightarrow v=\sqrt{\frac{100}{101}}c[/tex]. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

1. How is it possible to travel 10 light-years in just one year?

The concept of a "10 light-year journey in one year" is based on the theory of relativity, specifically the idea of time dilation. According to this theory, time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative speeds and distances. This means that for a traveler moving at extremely high speeds, time would appear to pass slower, allowing them to cover great distances in a relatively short amount of time.

2. What kind of technology would be needed for a 10 light-year journey in one year?

To achieve a 10 light-year journey in one year, a spacecraft would need to travel at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. This would require advanced propulsion systems, such as nuclear fusion or antimatter engines, and the ability to shield the spacecraft from the intense radiation and debris in space. Additionally, the spacecraft would need to be equipped with advanced navigation and communication systems to accurately navigate and communicate over such vast distances.

3. How would time be affected for the travelers on a 10 light-year journey in one year?

For the travelers on a 10 light-year journey in one year, time would appear to pass at a slower rate compared to someone on Earth. This means that while only one year would have passed for the travelers, 10 years would have passed on Earth. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and is a consequence of traveling at high speeds.

4. What are the potential challenges of a 10 light-year journey in one year?

A 10 light-year journey in one year would present numerous challenges, including the physical limitations of the human body to withstand the high speeds and intense radiation, the technological challenges of building a spacecraft capable of such speeds, and the logistical challenges of maintaining and sustaining the crew during the journey. Another major challenge would be the potential for collisions with debris in space, which could cause catastrophic damage to the spacecraft.

5. Are there any real-life examples of a 10 light-year journey in one year?

Currently, there are no real-life examples of a 10 light-year journey in one year. The fastest spacecraft ever launched, Voyager 1, would take approximately 70,000 years to travel 10 light-years. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that could potentially make long-distance space travel at high speeds a reality in the future.