Calculating River Velocity with Relative Boat Motion

In summary, to cross a 300m wide river at a distance of 130m upstream, a boat must angle at 40 degrees and has a still water velocity of 2.2m/s. The question is asking for the velocity of the river. This is a relative velocity problem and the boat's velocity relative to the Earth is known. With this information, the problem can be solved by using the concept of relative velocity.
astrokat11
In order to get across a river that's 300m wide at a distance 130m upstream, a boat must angle at 40degrees. The velocity of the boat in still water is 2.2m/s. What is the velocity of the river?

Thanks for the help!
AstroKat

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show some work before we help you...

river/boat velocity problem

Ok, so what I have so far is that this might be a relative velocity problem. I know the velocity of the boat relative to the Earth is 2.2m/s. I also know that if he aims upstream 40 degrees in still water, he will go further than 130 m. I'm just not really even sure where to start with this problem! Can someone lead me in the right direction and then I'll work on it more? I've been thinking about this problem for 4 days now and I'm having a lot of trouble with (I'm sure) a simple problem.
Thanks

1. What is the river boat velocity problem?

The river boat velocity problem refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of a boat in a river with a constant current. It requires considering the relative velocities of the boat and the river current to determine the overall velocity of the boat.

2. How do you solve the river boat velocity problem?

To solve the river boat velocity problem, you need to use the principle of vector addition. This involves breaking down the velocity of the boat and the current into their horizontal and vertical components, and then adding them together to determine the resultant velocity.

3. What information do you need to solve the river boat velocity problem?

To solve the river boat velocity problem, you need to know the speed of the boat relative to the river, the speed of the river current, and the angle between the boat's direction of motion and the direction of the current.

4. What is the impact of the river current on the boat's velocity?

The river current has a significant impact on the boat's velocity, as it affects the overall direction and speed of the boat. If the current is in the same direction as the boat's motion, it will increase the boat's velocity. However, if the current is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the boat's velocity.

5. How can the river boat velocity problem be applied in real life?

The river boat velocity problem has practical applications in various fields, such as navigation, water sports, and river transportation. It is also relevant in understanding the movement of objects in fluids, which is essential in fields like aerodynamics and marine engineering.