Possible IB extended essay topic

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of writing a well-developed essay on the physics behind Tae Kwon Do, inspired by the show "Human Weapon". The individual was unsure if the topic would be too simplistic or complex and sought advice on how to narrow or broaden the focus. Other essay research topics were also welcomed. However, the individual was advised against solely focusing on mechanics and suggested exploring important physical concepts or conducting experiments.
isnt life juicy
hi. i was wondering if it is possible to write a well developed essay explaining the physics behind tae kwon do (korean martial arts). think an indepth version of the show "human weapon". do you think that the research will be too simplistic/ complex? how should i narrow or broaden this topic? I am only in the initial stages of brainstorming so any other essay research topics are welcome!

by the way, i came up with tae kwon do because i am almost a black belt and i thought it might be a good way to add a personal touch to the essay.

edit::
i apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. my first post.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would do a lot with mechanics, but I don't see it as being in the spirit of physics or all that scientific. When I did the program, I saw a lot of kids get nailed for doing things like you want to do. The graders see the physics as a sidenote, which it is, rather than the main topic.

My suggestion would be to do an in depth study of an important physical concept like the harmonic oscillator, maybe do experiment with a physical pendulum or spring/mass on an air table; or take a look at some of the research going on in fields that can be understood without higher level physics, such as superfluids; or, lastly, go for one of the tried and true experiments and make it your own, maybe play with fluids and pressure (hydrolic jack), play with rockets and see why multi stage rockets work better than single stage rockets, there many different paths here.

I believe that your proposed topic of exploring the physics behind Tae Kwon Do is definitely feasible for an IB extended essay. It is certainly a unique and interesting topic that combines both science and martial arts, and your personal experience as a black belt adds a personal touch to the essay.

In terms of the research, it is important to strike a balance between being too simplistic and too complex. It is important to ensure that the information presented is accurate and scientifically sound, while also being understandable for the intended audience. I would suggest consulting with your science teacher or a physics expert to help you narrow down and refine your research question to ensure that it is manageable and well-developed.

To broaden the topic, you could consider comparing the physics principles behind Tae Kwon Do with other martial arts forms, or exploring the biomechanics of different techniques in Tae Kwon Do. On the other hand, to narrow down the topic, you could focus on a specific aspect of Tae Kwon Do, such as the force and momentum involved in different kicks or the impact of body mechanics on the effectiveness of strikes.

Additionally, as you are in the initial stages of brainstorming, I would suggest exploring other essay research topics that interest you. You could consider topics related to other sports or physical activities, or even delve into the physics behind everyday activities such as dancing or playing a musical instrument. The key is to choose a topic that you are passionate about and can effectively research and explain in a scientific manner.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your extended essay journey!

1. What is the purpose of the IB extended essay?

The IB extended essay is a research project that is required for students who are pursuing the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma. It allows students to explore a topic of their choice in depth and develop their research and writing skills.

2. How do I choose a topic for my IB extended essay?

You should choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and have a strong background knowledge of. It should also be a topic that is suitable for an extended essay, meaning it is not too broad or too narrow.

3. Can I choose any subject for my IB extended essay?

Yes, you can choose a topic from any of the six subject areas offered by the IB: Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Sciences, Mathematics, and the Arts. However, be sure to check with your supervisor to ensure that your chosen topic is appropriate for your subject.

4. How long should my IB extended essay be?

The IB extended essay should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words. This includes the introduction, body, and conclusion, but does not include the abstract, contents page, or references.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful IB extended essay?

Some tips for writing a successful IB extended essay include choosing a topic you are passionate about, starting your research early, creating a clear outline, and using reliable and credible sources. It is also important to manage your time effectively and seek guidance from your supervisor throughout the process.