Solving for Speed for Projectile Motion

In summary, the person standing at the edge of the cliff kicks a stone with a horizontal speed of 18 m/s. The cliff is 52 m above the water's surface. After 3.26 seconds, the stone lands 58.64 m from the base of the cliff. Using the motion equations in each direction, we can find that the stone has both an x and y component of velocity when it hits the water. By using the Pythagorean theorem, we can calculate that the speed at which the stone strikes the water is 36.67 m/s.
petern
A person standing at the edge of a seaside cliff kicks a stone over the edge with a horizontal speed of 18 m/s. The cliff is 52 m above the water's surface. (Use GUESS method).

C) With what speed does it strike the water? Answer: V=36.67

I have already solved for time it takes to reach the water which is 3.26 s. The distance between the base of the cliff and where the stone lands is 58.64 m.

I cannot figure out what the velocity is because I assume it would only be the vertical motion. The equation for the vertical motion is y =1/2(a)(t)^2 but there's nothing about velocity. I've already tried putting this equation into the one for horizontal but it ends up with a totally different number.

Please show me how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the stone hits the water, it has both an x and y component of velocity. Use the motion equations in each direction that relate velocity with time in each direction, to get these components, then think pythagorus.

Thank you soooo much. I figured it out.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its horizontal velocity and the downward force of gravity.

2. How do you solve for speed in projectile motion?

To solve for speed in projectile motion, you can use the formula v = √(v02 + 2ad), where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the displacement.

3. What is the difference between initial speed and final speed in projectile motion?

Initial speed, also known as the launch speed, is the speed at which the object is launched into the air. Final speed, also known as the impact speed, is the speed at which the object hits the ground or its target.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the speed in projectile motion?

The angle of launch can affect the speed in projectile motion by changing the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity. A higher launch angle will result in a greater vertical velocity and a longer time in the air, leading to a longer distance traveled and a higher final speed.

5. Can air resistance affect the speed in projectile motion?

Yes, air resistance can affect the speed in projectile motion. It acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down and reducing its final speed. However, the effect of air resistance is usually small and can be ignored in simple calculations.