Solve Optics Problems: Goldfish Eye & Spherical Refraction

• Thread starter w2dot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the first problem involves finding the apparent position and linear magnification of a goldfish's eye in a spherical goldfish bowl using the equations for reduced length and magnification. The second problem involves finding the refractive index of a glass surface separating air from glass, given that the real image formed is twice the size of the real object and is six times farther from the focal point.
w2dot
Problem 1

Homework Statement

A goldfish's eye is 4cm from the surface of a spherical goldfish bowl of radius 10cm. Neglecting the thickness of the glass, find the apparent position and linear magnification of the eye to an observer if the refractive index of the water is 1.333. (Hint: have the light traveling from left to right to meet the surface of the bowl)

From "Optics" 2nd edition 1996 by AH Tunnacliffe and JG Hirst. Pg 62, Question 20

Homework Equations

(1) Lreduced' - Lreduced = F

(2) Lreduced = n/l L'reduced=n'/l'

(3) h'/h = Lreduced/L'reduced

(4) (n'-n)/r = F

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (1) and (2)
n'/l' - 1/l = (1-1.333)/(-0.1)

L' - 1.333/(-0.04) = 3.33
L' = -29.95
l' = -0.03334m

Magnification
L/L' = (1.333/-0.04)/(-29.95) = 1.11

That gives me the right answers, but I'm really confused why that is.

Should I do this problem with r = +0.04 or -0.04?
Why, for L, would I treat n as 1 when it's on the side of the water?
Why doesn't n1/n2 = real depth/apparent depth work?

Problem 2

Homework Statement

A spherical refracting surface, separating air from glass, forms a real image twice the size of the real object. If the image is 6 times as far from F' as the object is from F', find the refractive index of the glass.

From same source as above but Q24

Homework Equations

xx' = ff'
h'/h = Lbar/Lbar'
F = -n/f
F = n'/f'
L' - L = F

The Attempt at a Solution

h' = 2h2h/h = Lbar/Lbar'
2 = Lbar/Lbar'

Lbar=1/l (because in air)
l = x+f

Lbar' = n'/l'
l' = 6x + f' (because image's x is 6x object's x)

2 = Lbar/Lbar'
2 = (1/(x+f))/(n'/(6x+f'))
2 = (6x + f')/((x + f)n')
2n'x + 2n'f = 6x + f'

This is where I wonder whether the f's are equal and if not, what they are. I've found introducing r from F=(n'-n)/r (as f = -n/F and f' = n'/f') makes it even more muddled

THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your first question, you get the right answers because you did it right.
As for the sign convention, generally the direction of the ray of incident light is taken to be positive.

You do take n=1 for the outside because that's the refractive index of air. The bowl is kept in air, and the fish is in water, so n=1 for air and n=1.33 for water.

n2/n1 doesn't work because that is the condition for normal viewpoint. As the rays of light arent incident normally, this doesn't work. The process is the same.

L'/L works because that's approximately equal to the ratio of the height of the object to the height of the image. You can prove this using similar triangles. Its quite straightforward.

For your second question, l=x-f and l'=6x+f, and unless something else is given, I think you'll have to keep the answer in terms of the radius of curvature of the refracting surface.

1. How does a goldfish's eye differ from a human eye in terms of optics?

A goldfish's eye has a spherical lens, while a human eye has a more complex lens with multiple curvatures. Additionally, a goldfish's eye has a higher refractive index, allowing for better light refraction and sharper vision in water.

2. How does spherical refraction affect the vision of a goldfish?

Spherical refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a spherical lens. In a goldfish's eye, this allows for the lens to focus light onto the retina, resulting in clear and sharp vision underwater.

3. Can a goldfish's eye adjust for different levels of refraction in water?

Yes, a goldfish's eye has the ability to adjust its lens curvature to accommodate for different levels of refraction in water. This allows for clear vision in both shallow and deep water.

4. How does the shape and position of a goldfish's eye affect its vision?

The spherical shape of a goldfish's eye allows for a wider field of view, giving them a 360-degree view of their surroundings. Additionally, the position of the eye on the sides of the head allows for better depth perception and the ability to see predators approaching from different angles.

5. Can the principles of spherical refraction be applied to improve human vision underwater?

Yes, scientists have studied the goldfish eye and its spherical lens to develop technology that can mimic its properties. This has led to the creation of specialized contact lenses and goggles that can improve vision underwater for humans.