Starting in Cosmology: Understanding the Role of Physics and GR

• Thread starter quantumfireball
  • Start date
In summary, to embark on cosmology, a basic understanding of general relativity and quantum field theory is useful but not necessary. Some recommended textbooks for various levels of understanding include "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden, "Cosmology and Particle Astrophysics" by Bergström & Goobar, "Cosmological Physics" by John Peacock, and "First Principles of Cosmology" by Eric Linder.
quantumfireball
:confused: How much physics do i need to know to embark on cosmology
Do i need to be a complete expert in GR?

Space news on Phys.org
quantumfireball said:
:confused: How much physics do i need to know to embark on cosmology
Do i need to be a complete expert in GR?

It of course depends on what level of understanding you are aiming for, and what part of cosmology you'd like to study, but in general you don't need to be an expert in GR. A basic GR course (including a study of the FLRW metric) could be sufficient for many topics in cosmology.

thats quite a suprise
can you recommend me some textbooks on cosmology(leave aside weinbergs pop book)

quantumfireball said:
thats quite a suprise
can you recommend me some textbooks on cosmology(leave aside weinbergs pop book)

I think I need to know which level you are at right now, and which level you are aiming for?

i know very little quantum field theory,some basic idea about GR,
miniscule amount of particle physics,...

Maybe Introduction to Cosmology by Barbara Ryden might be a good choice.

Assuming second or third year undergraduate physics and math as input, this well written book gives an elementary, but detailed and quantitative, treatment of the expansion of the universe, dark matter, dark energy, inflation, big bang nucleosynthesis, and structure formation (galaxies and superclusters of galaxies). Knowledge of general relativity is not a prerequisite. The FLRW metric is used and studied, but is not derived.

"Cosmology and Particle Astrophysics" (second edition) by Bergström & Goobar may be something. It is intended as an advanced undergraduate/graduate textbook, but is actually quite readable even for those with less knowledge, since it repeats the basic GR and QFT needed for the understanding of the rest of the book. The main focus is on dark matter and dark energy.

A comprehensive classic cosmology text is 'Cosmological Physics' by John Peacock. Depending on your maths and physics background, this may be a little advanced though. It's probably an upper undergrad/grad student level.

Another option (though possibly a little tricky to get hold of?) is 'First Principles of Cosmology' by Eric Linder. It's quite a short text by normal standard but presents things in an interesting way and provokes lots of good thinking from the reader.

1. How much money do I need to start my own business?

The amount of money needed to start a business varies greatly depending on the type of business, location, and other factors. It is important to create a detailed business plan and budget to determine your specific financial needs.

2. How much should I invest in stocks?

The amount to invest in stocks depends on your personal financial situation, risk tolerance, and investment goals. It is recommended to only invest what you can afford to lose and to diversify your investments.

3. How much should I save for retirement?

The amount to save for retirement depends on your desired lifestyle after retirement, current age, and retirement age. It is important to start saving early and consistently contribute to a retirement account.

4. How much should I budget for groceries?

The amount to budget for groceries varies depending on your location, family size, and dietary needs. It is recommended to track your spending and adjust your budget as needed to find a comfortable balance.

5. How much should I spend on rent?

The amount to spend on rent should not exceed 30% of your monthly income. It is important to consider other expenses and save for emergencies when determining your rent budget.