BLASIUS EQUATION Solutıon with Finite Difference Method

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a similarity variable and boundary layer equations for a two-dimensional, incompressible flow over a flat plate. The boundary conditions are also stated. The conversation then moves on to using a finite difference method to obtain a numerical solution for the equation and computing the shear stress on the wall. The person asking for help has provided their attempted approach but is stuck and needs further assistance.
antiochos
1) Using a similarity variable, the boundary layer equations for a two-dimensional, incompressible flow over a flat plate can be written below:

2f'''+ff''=0

The boundary conditions are:

a) f ' (0) = 0, no slip at the wall
b) f(0)=0, solid wall
c) f ' (n) goes 1 as n goes infinity boundary layer solution merges into the inviscid solution.

I) using finite difference method, obtain a numerical solution of this equation. Plot f ' and f as a function n.
II) The shear stress on the wall requires f " (0) to be determined. From the numerical solution compute f " (0).

I ve uploaded the original doc file.

Can you help me with this?

Attachments

• hw2(2).doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have stated what is clearly a homework problem but shown no work at all. I'm moving this to the "Calculus and Beyond" homework section but you will have to show what you have done yourself.

ok my path:

f'=y
y'=f''

the replaced y s with f s.

Then i wrote the finite difference equation.

Then i took the integral of y' with trapezoid rule..

i could not go any further

1. What is the Blasius Equation?

The Blasius Equation is a nonlinear differential equation that describes the laminar boundary layer flow over a flat plate. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics to model flow over a surface.

2. What is the Finite Difference Method?

The Finite Difference Method is a numerical technique used to solve differential equations by approximating the derivatives with discrete values. It involves dividing the domain into a grid and solving the equations at each point on the grid.

3. How is the Blasius Equation solved using the Finite Difference Method?

The Blasius Equation is solved using the Finite Difference Method by discretizing the equation and solving it iteratively at each point on the grid. The solution is then refined until it converges to the correct solution.

4. What are the advantages of using the Finite Difference Method for solving the Blasius Equation?

The Finite Difference Method is advantageous for solving the Blasius Equation because it is a simple and efficient numerical method. It is also versatile and can be applied to a wide range of problems in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Finite Difference Method for solving the Blasius Equation?

One limitation of using the Finite Difference Method for solving the Blasius Equation is that it is only applicable to problems with simple geometries and boundary conditions. It also requires a significant amount of computation and may not be suitable for problems with high Reynolds numbers.