Gamma Spectroscopy: Measuring Atomic Numbers?

In summary, there is no easy way to measure the atomic number of a radioactive source using gamma spectroscopy.
indigojoker
Is there a way to measure the atomic number of a source using gamma spectroscopy? Like, I know that if you have different back scattering material, it will produced different intensity backscattering peaks, but is there a formula that relates intensity of backscattered peaks to the atomic number?

Physics news on Phys.org
gamma spectroscopy measures the energy of the emitted photons when a metastable state deexcites. Rutherford backscattering, you not use gamma rays..

umm back scattering from compton effect. gamma rays hit electron and if the scattering angle is 180 degree, then the scattered gamma ray will leave energy in the detector forming the backscattering peak while the scattered electron will form the compton edge.

so my question is asking if there is a way to measure the atomic number of the radioactive source using different backscattering materials (such as lead and aluminum) and measuring the difference in backscattering peak?

hmm still no ideas?

there are better ways to measure Z of material, then using backscattered gammas (compton edge). Rutherford Backscattering is the method which is used in industry nowadays. See for example Krane: Introductory nuclear physics, p 796 and forward.

this is for a lab. i am still confused to HOW someone can measure the Z of material using backscattered gamma rays? could you explain?

There are formulas where the compton edge is given as a function of atomic number of the material and incoming energy of the photon.

i have never seen the compton edge be related to the atomic number. it would be great if i can be directed to this formula because I've been looking for it and can't find it

Not me neither, but if your lab assistants wants you to find such a relation, it should exist. If not, then maybe you have missunderstood the lab-info.

by "find such a relation" they mean go on the internet and look. there is no way i can "derive" such an equation from the experiments, i was just wondering if they were online at all

internet? Why not textbooks in libraries etc?

"i have never seen the compton edge be related to the atomic number. it would be great if i can be directed to this formula because I've been looking for it and can't find it"

What sources have you considered? Google?

Why not texbooks about experimental nuclear physics / introductory books in Nuclear physics - chapters on experiment.

i tried all of that. i have six nuclear/experimental physics books from the library and when they talk about gamma ray spectroscopy, it doesn't mention anything about compton edge and atomic number. I've read all the internet sources on it, i don't think one exists...

What is Gamma Spectroscopy and how does it work?

Gamma Spectroscopy is a technique used to measure the atomic numbers of elements present in a sample. It works by detecting and analyzing the gamma rays emitted by the sample, which are unique to each element.

What are the benefits of using Gamma Spectroscopy?

Gamma Spectroscopy is a non-destructive and highly sensitive method of analyzing samples. It can provide accurate and precise measurements of atomic numbers, making it useful in various scientific fields such as nuclear physics, environmental science, and material science.

What type of samples can be analyzed using Gamma Spectroscopy?

Gamma Spectroscopy can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. It is commonly used in the analysis of environmental samples, such as soil and water, as well as industrial materials and products.

How is Gamma Spectroscopy different from other spectroscopic techniques?

Unlike other spectroscopic techniques, such as UV-Vis or IR spectroscopy, Gamma Spectroscopy focuses specifically on the analysis of gamma rays. This makes it a highly sensitive and accurate method for determining atomic numbers and identifying elements in a sample.

What are some real-world applications of Gamma Spectroscopy?

Gamma Spectroscopy has numerous real-world applications, including in nuclear power plants for monitoring and analyzing radioactive materials, in medical imaging for detecting and diagnosing diseases, and in environmental science for studying pollution and contamination levels in the environment.