Relative Half-Cell Potentials

In summary, based on the standard reduction potentials, Ni2+(aq) is not capable of oxidizing H2(g), Fe2+(aq) is not capable of reducing VO2+(aq), Cr3+(aq) is not capable of oxidizing Fe2+(aq) to Fe3+(aq), Sn2+(aq) is capable of oxidizing Fe2+(aq), Fe3+(aq) is capable of oxidizing Sn metal to Sn2+(aq), and Fe2+(aq) is not capable of reducing Cr3+(aq) to Cr metal. Your method of adding the standard reduction potentials is correct, but you may want to double check your numbers before submitting your answers.
salman213
yes ------Is Ni2+(aq) capable of oxidizing H2(g)?
no -------Is Fe2+(aq) capable of reducing VO2+(aq)?
no -------Is Cr3+(aq) capable of oxidizing Fe2+(aq) to Fe3+(aq)?
yes ------Is Sn2+(aq) capable of oxidizing Fe2+(aq)?
yes ------Is Fe3+(aq) capable of oxidizing Sn metal to Sn2+(aq)?
no -------Is Fe2+(aq) capable of reducing Cr3+(aq) to Cr metal?

can anyone quickly check these

Physics news on Phys.org
We need to see some kind of explanation. Can you explain how you arrived at those answers?

someone told me to do this

Write down the standard reduction potential of the couple to be reduced.

Write down the negative of the standard reduction potential of the couple to be oxidized.

Add them up.

Is the answer positive (yes/no)

i did that and came to that conclusion but i need someone to check my answers before i submit them

Your method is correct. I haven't checked your numbers but the first one doesn't look right.

Last edited:

1. What is a relative half-cell potential?

A relative half-cell potential is a measure of the difference in electric potential between two half-cells in an electrochemical cell. It is typically expressed in volts (V) and represents the tendency for a reaction to occur at the interface between the two half-cells.

2. How is a relative half-cell potential determined?

A relative half-cell potential can be determined by comparing the potential of the half-cell in question to a standard hydrogen electrode (SHE), which has a defined potential of 0 V. This comparison allows for the calculation of the potential difference between the two half-cells.

3. What factors can affect the relative half-cell potential?

The relative half-cell potential can be affected by the concentrations of ions and reactants in the half-cell, temperature, and the presence of catalysts. Additionally, changes in the composition or surface area of the electrodes can also impact the potential difference.

4. How does the relative half-cell potential relate to the overall cell potential?

The relative half-cell potential is a crucial component in determining the overall cell potential. The overall potential of an electrochemical cell is equal to the sum of the relative half-cell potentials for the anode and cathode. This means that the greater the difference in potential between the two half-cells, the higher the overall cell potential will be.

5. What are some practical applications of relative half-cell potentials?

Relative half-cell potentials are used in a variety of fields, including battery technology, corrosion prevention, and chemical and biochemical reactions. They also play a significant role in determining the feasibility and efficiency of different electrochemical processes. For example, the relative half-cell potential can help predict the direction and rate of a chemical reaction or determine the optimal conditions for a specific process.