Industrial vs Mechanical Engineers

In summary: Industrial Engineering has more to do with manufacturing and process flow than say modifying an engine or something like a mechanical engineer would do.Ah... when you say manufacturing and process flow, do you mean devising ways to manufacture products as time and cost efficiently as possible? Because that actually sounds like something I would like to do, as long as I don't have to deal with too many stupid shmucks wearing suits, telling me how to do my job when they don't know a goddamn thing about it (if i sound a little jaded about the business world it's because my mom worked in insurance and usually told me all sorts of horror stories after coming home from work). Would it be hard to become an industrial engineer with
Bigman
"Industrial" vs "Mechanical" Engineers

I was just reading an article in Time magazine about which career people are the most happy with their jobs, and "Industrial Engineers" rated as being rather satisfied with their jobs while "Mechanical Engineers" rated their jobs as just so-so. As a Mechanical Engineering major I was wondering, what's the difference between these two titles? And does anyone have any ideas on why Industrial Engineers would be happier with their careers then Mech. Engineers? I don't want to hate my job! :P

Physics news on Phys.org
*Joke ahead*
On campus in electrical engineering, we refer to industrial engineers as glorified business majors.
*end joke*

Industrial Engineering has more to do with manufacturing and process flow than say modifying an engine or something like a mechanical engineer would do.

Ah... when you say manufacturing and process flow, do you mean devising ways to manufacture products as time and cost efficiently as possible? Because that actually sounds like something I would like to do, as long as I don't have to deal with too many stupid shmucks wearing suits, telling me how to do my job when they don't know a goddamn thing about it (if i sound a little jaded about the business world it's because my mom worked in insurance and usually told me all sorts of horror stories after coming home from work). Would it be hard to become an industrial engineer with a BA in mech. engineering, and if so, would an MBA help?

IEs are the "stupid shmucks wearing suits, telling me how to do my job when they don't know a goddamn thing about it".

jhicks, similar joke at my school, "IE's are engineers who can't do math"

One more...not to disrespect IE's or anything, but at my undergrad school, people called IE's Imaginary Engineers :rofl:.

If so many people hate them, then they must make the big bucks. Go for it, man! :D

At my school in Monterrey, Mexico, there are also jokes about IE...
Anyway if you like the process flow part more than the actual working of the machinery then you probably fit more as an IE

Physics_wiz said:
One more...not to disrespect IE's or anything, but at my undergrad school, people called IE's Imaginary Engineers :rofl:.

So, they do a lot of complex analysis? :bugeye:

Poop-Loops said:
If so many people hate them, then they must make the big bucks. Go for it, man! :D

Slightly less to start than other engineering fields at the B.S. level, slightly more to start at the Ph.D. level (according to BLS.gov, anyway).

kdinser said:
jhicks, similar joke at my school, "IE's are engineers who can't do math"
Plain childish. I am studying IE and I am very good at mathematics. I just got my engineering week test results back and I will yet again pass Engineering maths with distinction. So grow up. Every engineer becomes an industrial engineer. Industrial Engineers just become IE's faster. No matter what discipline you pursue, you will eventually need to manage and optimize..etc and that is what IE specialize in.

At my school IE's do the same amount of math as an ME. Much of the core classes are the same as well. Only a couple junior level courses and the senior electives differentiate the two.

That said, my school (UMass) has had several notices that most of the big-name companies (like GE, Pfizer, BAE, etc.) prefer BS degrees in the traditional fields (CE, ChE, EE, ME).

(I'm an EE Junior btw, so I have no particular loyalties to either ME or IE).

1. What is the difference between Industrial and Mechanical Engineers?

Industrial engineers focus on optimizing processes and systems in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, healthcare, and transportation. They use techniques like data analysis and computer simulation to improve efficiency and reduce costs.On the other hand, mechanical engineers primarily design and develop mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and tools. They use principles of physics and mathematics to create solutions and often work in industries like automotive, aerospace, and energy.

2. Can Industrial and Mechanical Engineers work in the same industries?

Yes, Industrial and Mechanical Engineers can work in the same industries, but they may have different roles and responsibilities. For example, in the manufacturing industry, an Industrial Engineer may focus on optimizing the production process, while a Mechanical Engineer may design and develop the machinery used in the production process.

3. What skills are required for Industrial and Mechanical Engineers?

Both Industrial and Mechanical Engineers require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. However, Industrial Engineers may also need skills in data analysis, project management, and process improvement, while Mechanical Engineers may require skills in computer-aided design, materials science, and thermodynamics.

4. Is there a difference in job outlook for Industrial and Mechanical Engineers?

The job outlook for both Industrial and Mechanical Engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% and 4% respectively from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, the industries that employ these engineers may vary, with Industrial Engineers seeing the most growth in the healthcare and consulting services industries, and Mechanical Engineers seeing growth in the transportation and computer and electronic product manufacturing industries.

5. Can Industrial and Mechanical Engineers work together on projects?

Yes, Industrial and Mechanical Engineers can work together on projects, and in fact, collaboration between different types of engineers can lead to more innovative and effective solutions. For example, an Industrial Engineer may work with a Mechanical Engineer to optimize a manufacturing process, taking into consideration the design and functionality of the machinery being used.