Satellite Orbital Speed at 10% Gravity

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the height above the Earth at which the acceleration due to gravity is 10% of its value at the surface. The formula used is g = g_e/[1+(h/R_e)^2], where g_e is the acceleration at the surface, h is the height, and R_e is the radius of the Earth. The conversation also includes suggestions to draw a picture to better understand the problem and to use the Universal Law of Gravitation (F = GmM/r^2) to help solve it.
TonkaQD4
(a) At what height above the Earth is the acceleration due to gravity 10% of its value at the surface?
(b) What is the speed of a satellite orbiting at that height?

Note: _e means earth

g = { g_e / [1+(h/R_e)^2] }

At height 0, g = 9.83m/s^2
R = 6400km

I know that we need to isolate "h". I don't quite understand how to start this problem though. Where do we plug in that 10% or what exactly does that 10% mean? I guess the wording of the question is what makes this problem confusing. Help me start this please.

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration of a mass at the surface is [tex]a_0[/tex]

The acceleration of a mass at some height x above the surface is [tex]a_1[/tex]

You want to know what x is when [tex]\frac{a_1}{a_0}[/tex]=0.1

The rest is simple algebra.

That doesn't help me out.

Any other suggestions out there.

Maybe think about it this way... you have a formula that gives you some g for any value of h that you want to plug in.

Unfortunately, you need a formula that gives you the h for some value of g. That's ok, you can plug in your value for g (once you figure it out) and manipulate the equation.

Maybe if you saw Bill's equation with g's instead of a's:

g1 / g0 = 0.1 , where g0 is the acceleration due to gravity at h = 0. You can solve this for g1, which will be, in this case, 10% (0.1) of the acceleration due to gravity at h = 0.

Hope this helps.

Should I use the Universal Law of Gravitation instead?

F = GmM/r^2

Still not sure what to do then? I feel like I am making this problem harder than it really is.

Well, you probably are making this problem a bit harder than it is, but everyone does that until it 'clicks'.

Have you drawn a picture? I get the impression that you're trying to plug numbers into formulas, but you're not sure which formulas to use or why because you don't have a physical picture of what's going on. I would suggest drawing a picture. What happens to the gravitational force as you move away from the surface of the earth?

Now, as for whether or not you should use the formula for the gravitational force, you already are using it-- you just don't know it yet. Check out the following derivation, which I believe is accurate (I'm slightly out of practice :-)-- if anyone notices anything, please jump in. Now,

[tex]F = ma = \frac{GM_{e}m}{r^2}[/tex]

and since we're calling the acceleration due to gravity g, not a,

[tex]F = mg = \frac{GM_{e}m}{r^2} \Rightarrow{g = \frac{GM_{e}}{r^2}}[/tex]

So now, at the surface of the earth, [itex] r = R_e [/itex], so

[tex] g_e = \frac{GM_{e}}{{R_e}^2}[/tex]

Now, at some height above the surface of the Earth [itex]R_e[/itex], [itex] r = R_e + h[/itex], so the acceleration due to gravity there would be

[tex] g = \frac{GM_{e}}{r^2} = \frac{GM_{e}}{(R_e+h)^2}[/tex]

Now, using these two results, we can calculate the ratio [itex] \frac{g_e}{g}[/itex]:

[tex] \frac{g_e}{g} = \frac{\frac{GM_{e}}{{R_e}^2}}{\frac{GM_{e}}{(R_e+h)^2}} = \frac{(R_e + h)^2}{{R_e}^2} = \frac{{R_e}^2(1+\frac{h}{R_e})^2}{{R_e}^2} = (1+\frac{h}{R_e})^2[/tex]

so

[tex] \frac{g_e}{g} = (1+\frac{h}{R_e})^2 \Rightarrow g = \frac{g_e}{(1+\frac{h}{R_e})^2} [/tex]

Which is the formula (almost; I think you may have mis-typed it) you were originally going to use. And you should, it will help you with part (a), although I have shown an intermediate result that may actually be slightly more useful.

The math is helpful, but try to picture what's going on here, to help you decide which equations you should use. Draw a picture, if you haven't. All you're trying to do is find out how high you need to be to experience 10% of the gravitational force as you would on the surface.

Hope this helps.

Bill Foster said:
The acceleration of a mass at the surface is [tex]a_0[/tex]

The acceleration of a mass at some height x above the surface is [tex]a_1[/tex]

You want to know what x is when [tex]\frac{a_1}{a_0}[/tex]=0.1

The rest is simple algebra.
TonkaQD4 said:
That doesn't help me out.

Any other suggestions out there.

This certainly does help you out. [tex]\frac{a_1}{a_0}=.10[/tex]

but a_0= acceleration due to gravity or just [tex]g_{on earth}[/tex]

...so what is g in terms of G,M,m and R?

Hint: [tex]F_g=\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex] ... but what else is F_g equal to? Hint 2: Its a force!
Casey

Last edited:
Thanks. Figured it out.

WayneKao said:
The answer is 13838577.03 meters. hahahaha

This thread is over a year old; the joke would appear to be on you :smile:

What is a satellite and how does it work?

A satellite is an object that orbits around a larger object, such as a planet or a star. It works by following a specific path, called an orbit, that is determined by the gravitational pull of the larger object. Satellites are typically launched into space by rockets and are used for various purposes, including communication, navigation, and scientific research.

What is gravity and how does it affect satellites?

Gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around stars and moons in orbit around planets. Satellites are also affected by gravity, as it keeps them in their designated orbits and prevents them from flying off into space. Gravity can also be used by satellites to maintain their position and altitude in Earth's atmosphere.

How are satellites launched into space?

Satellites are typically launched into space using rockets. The rocket provides the initial thrust needed to escape Earth's gravity and reach the desired orbit. Some satellites, such as those used for weather forecasting, are launched into low Earth orbit (LEO) using smaller rockets. Others, such as those used for global positioning systems (GPS), are launched into higher orbits using larger rockets.

What is the difference between geostationary and polar orbiting satellites?

A geostationary satellite is placed in an orbit that keeps it above a specific location on Earth's equator. This allows the satellite to maintain a fixed position relative to the ground, making it ideal for communication and broadcasting purposes. On the other hand, a polar orbiting satellite passes over the Earth's poles and provides global coverage as it rotates around the planet. These satellites are often used for scientific research and mapping.

How do satellites help us understand Earth's gravity?

Satellites play a crucial role in helping scientists study and understand Earth's gravity. By measuring the gravitational pull at different points on the planet, scientists can create detailed maps of the Earth's gravitational field. This information is used to study Earth's interior structure, monitor changes in sea level, and even predict natural disasters such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.