Curve of Intersection: Finding the Intersection Between a Sphere and an Ellipse

In summary: Now you have two equations in two unknowns, and you can use the method of solving two simultaneous equations to solve for the other two. In summary, the student is trying to find the curve of intersection between two curves in a plane. The first equation is a sphere of radius 6, and the second equation will pass through it, so when projected on the xy plane it will also be an ellipse. They are trying to solve for the (x,y) coordinates, but are stuck because when they solve for z in both equations they get something ugly. They end up solving for x and y in terms of z, and then use the method of solving two simultaneous equations to solve for the other two coordinates.
kamino

Homework Statement

I am asked to find the curve of intersection between x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 36 and 2x + y -z = 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the first equation is a sphere of radius 6, and the second equation will pass through it, so when projected on the xy plane it will also be an ellipse. I'm just not sure how to go about solving for the (x,y) coordinates, so that I know the curve of the line. My guess would be to solve for z in both equations and set them equal to each other. However, when I do that I end up with something ugly...

36 = 5x^2 + 2y^2 + 4xy -8x -4y + 4

Then I'm stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
kamino said:
36 = 5x^2 + 2y^2 + 4xy -8x -4y + 4

I get this also. You now have the equation for an ellipse, the axes of which are rotated with respect to the x- and y-axes. (That's what the mixed term, Bxy, tells us.) If that's all you need to know, you're done.

A note on the test for identifying the type of conic section is found at the end of this entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_of_axes . There is also a discussion of what you need to do if you want to eliminate the mixed term here: http://www.sparknotes.com/math/precalc/conicsections/section5.rhtml . If you need to describe the ellipse further (location of center, length of axes, etc.), you will need to make the transformation first, then solve the standard form equation you obtain.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to convert the equation you have to the standard form of the equation of an ellipse, use the transformation

[tex]X=xcos\theta -ysin\theta[/tex]

[tex]Y=xcos\theta +ysin\theta[/tex]

And then equate the xy term to zero. This will give you theta which you substitute in the equation you get to get the standard form of the equation.

Or if you know a little bit of linear algebra and orthogonal diagonolization you can easily express the equation as an ellipse. I got this as an answer (x and y are wrt to rotated coordinates):

x^2/(106/15) + (y-1/3)^2/(53/45) = 1

The intersection of two surfaces, in R3, is, in general, a curve in R3, which cannot be written as a single equation (that would be the equation of a surface). What you need are parametric equations of the curve of intersection.

You talk about the projection into the xy-plane being an ellipse but I see nothing in the statement of the problem that asks for such a projection.

One method of solving this would be to solve the linear equation for one of the variables, say z= 2x+ y- 2. Now put that back into the first equation so you get a (quadratic) equation in x and y. Solve that for one variable, say x. You can now use x itself as the parameter, writing both y and z in terms of x.

1. What is a curve of intersection?

A curve of intersection is a line or curve that is formed by the intersection of two or more surfaces or objects in a three-dimensional space.

2. How is a curve of intersection calculated?

A curve of intersection can be calculated by finding the points of intersection between the surfaces or objects and using those points to create a line or curve that represents the intersection.

3. What is the significance of a curve of intersection in mathematics?

A curve of intersection is significant in mathematics because it helps to visualize and understand the relationship between different surfaces or objects in a three-dimensional space.

4. How does a curve of intersection relate to real-world applications?

In real-world applications, a curve of intersection can be used to analyze and model the intersection of physical objects, such as the intersection of two roads or the intersection of two planes in architecture.

5. What are some common methods for representing a curve of intersection?

Some common methods for representing a curve of intersection include using parametric equations, implicit equations, or by plotting points on a graph.