FEMM - 2d finite element emag simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of FEMM simulation software for magnetostatic problems and the need for a 3D version for better visualization. The speaker also asks for suggestions for other free 2D and 3D simulation software, particularly for transient analysis and sinusoidal current inputs. The conversation also mentions the limitations of the student version of 'Quickfield' software. The speaker thanks another member for a previous discussion on simulation packages and asks for assistance with using FEMM for simulating solenoids with sinusoidal inputs. The conversation also mentions the use of Lua scripting and MATLAB for obtaining a 3D view of the magnetic field around an electromagnet.
rsr_life
Hi!

Does anybody here have experience with the FEMM simulation software? Its pretty popular in the engg community. I basically use it for simulating magnetostatic problems.

If you do (and if this is the right forum, it is EE after all), could somebody tell me how I can do transient analysis, sinusoidal current inputs, etc using FEMM? I basically would like to send sinusoidally varying currents (or other such combinations) to a simple solenoid.

Also, could somebody suggest some good *free* 3d simulation software, since the 2D version isn't too convenient for visualizing effects, and also other free 2D simulation software. Even an evaluation copy for 3d simulation would be helpful - if its available for download right away.

'Quickfield' is another software that uses FE and has a 2d student version, but its way too limited for any practical problems.

Thanks,
rsr_life

Engineering news on Phys.org
thanks for that berkeman.

im still a student, so I'm allowed to use most of the software ppl mentioned. The ansoft software - the student version, has a very poor interface. don't really have time to spend on that one.

Anyway, a 3d version would have been a cookie. Still, could anybody with experience with FEMM answer my earlier question regarding sinusoidal inputs to solenoids in FEMM? Do I write a Lua script (is that available, i don't have muche xperience with Lua).

Berkeman, what expression would you use get the magnetic field at any point around an electromagnet (not just radial) given the current? I'd like to simulate this for a solenoid. Doing this in MATLAB should give me a 3d view of the magnetic field, i suppose.

Thanks,

rsr_life

1. What is FEMM?

FEMM stands for 2d Finite Element Electromagnetic Simulation. It is a software package used for simulating and analyzing electromagnetic and electrostatic problems.

2. How does FEMM work?

FEMM uses finite element analysis method to solve electromagnetic and electrostatic problems. It breaks down the problem into smaller finite elements and then solves for the behavior of each element, taking into account the boundary conditions and material properties.

3. What are the applications of FEMM?

FEMM can be used for a variety of applications including analyzing motors, transformers, magnetic sensors, and permanent magnets. It can also be used for designing and optimizing electromagnetic devices.

4. Is FEMM user-friendly?

FEMM has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to set up and run simulations. It also has a comprehensive user manual and tutorials to help users get started.

5. Is FEMM open-source?

Yes, FEMM is an open-source software, which means it is free to download and use. It also has an active community of users who contribute to its development and provide support to other users.