Radical Equation Tutoring: Expert Solution & Verification

• Thread starter scientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, the conversation is about checking a solution to a radical question. The person asks if a tutor can check their answer, but there are no tutors present. The solution is provided and the person is encouraged to plug their answer back into the equation to see if it works. The conversation also touches on factoring and algebra errors. The final solution is confirmed to be correct and suggestions are given to make it look nicer.
scientist
Could a tutor check my solution to my radical question? It is enclosed in this attachment as a word document.

Attachments

• Solve the following radical equation.doc
    33 KB · Views: 270
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment needs to be approved. Either way, it's still pretty dangerous to open word attachments.

Type it up and we'll take a look at it.

Why don't check your own answer? Just put your answer back into the original equation and do the arithmetic.

You can plug your answer back into the equation to see if it works out. Its absolutely correct & absolutely wrong all at the same time. Can you figure out why? Plug your values back in & see why I said what I said. Your first step contains an algebra error, also think factoring for the first step.

Is this correct?

3x + x*sqrt(5) = 2

solution

(3x + x*sqrt(5)) = 2

I factored out the x
x (3 + sqrt(5)) = 2

Divide both sides by sqrt(5) + 3
x (3 + sqrt(5) / (sqrt(5) + 3) = (2) / (sqrt(5) + 3)

cancel

x = (2) / (sqrt(5) + 3) final answer

Is this correct?

Last edited:
3x + x√5 = 2

²√5 = 5^½
3x + (5^½)x = 2
~5.24x=2
x=~0.38

i get the same

Last edited:
scientist said:
Is this correct?

3x + x*sqrt(5) = 2

solution

(3x + x*sqrt(5)) = 2

I factored out the x
x (3 + sqrt(5)) = 2

Divide both sides by sqrt(5) + 3
x (3 + sqrt(5) / (sqrt(5) + 3) = (2) / (sqrt(5) + 3)

cancel

x = (2) / (sqrt(5) + 3) final answer

Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct. You could make it look nicer by "rationalizing the denominator": multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{5}- 3[/itex] and you get
[tex]x= \frac{2\sqrt{5}- 6}{2}= \sqrt{5}- 3[/itex]

By the way, none of these are really "radical" equations since they don't involve roots of the unknown number. [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] is just another number!

Oh, and there are no "tutors" here. Just us folks.

What is a radical equation?

A radical equation is an equation that contains a variable inside a radical, such as a square root or cube root.

How do you solve a radical equation?

To solve a radical equation, isolate the radical on one side of the equation and then raise both sides to the appropriate power to eliminate the radical. Repeat this process until the variable is isolated and the equation is simplified.

What are some common mistakes when solving radical equations?

Some common mistakes when solving radical equations include forgetting to eliminate the radical by raising both sides to the appropriate power, forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, and making errors when simplifying the equation.

How do you check for extraneous solutions when solving a radical equation?

To check for extraneous solutions, substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. If it does not, then it is an extraneous solution and should be discarded.

Can all radical equations be solved in the real numbers?

No, not all radical equations have real number solutions. Some equations may have complex solutions or no solution at all. It is important to check for extraneous solutions and domain restrictions when solving radical equations.