Is a Group Abelian if a*a=e?

In summary, a group is abelian if and only if the expression aba-1b-1 is equal to the identity (e) for any a and b in the group. In the given group, a*a=e for all a, which means that the inverse of a is itself. Therefore, the expression aba-1b-1 can be simplified to abab. This is equal to the identity because e=1 and e*e=e. However, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts of group theory in order to fully grasp this proof.
karnten07

Homework Statement

Let G be a group such that a*a = e for all a[tex]\in[/tex]G. Show that G is abelian.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the conditions for an abelian group but don't see or understand the significance that a*a=e here?

Physics news on Phys.org
A group is abelian iff [a,b]=aba-1b-1 is equal to the identity for all a,b (do you see why?). What can you say about a-1 and b-1?

StatusX said:
A group is abelian iff [a,b]=aba-1b-1 is equal to the identity for all a,b (do you see why?). What can you say about a-1 and b-1?

Yes because a*a[tex]^{}-1[/tex] = e and b*b[tex]^{}-1[/tex] = e. Can you say that the inverses are multiplicatively commutative. But why does the question talk about a*a=e. I would have thought it was a typo or something because it seems strange?

StatusX gave you a very good hint: G is abelian iff aba-1b-1=e for any a,b in G. The condition a2=e tells you precisely what a-1 is.

StatusX said:

morphism said:
StatusX gave you a very good hint: G is abelian iff aba-1b-1=e for any a,b in G. The condition a2=e tells you precisely what a-1 is.

Does that make a^-1 = e^-0.5 ?

karnten07 said:
Does that make a^-1 = e^-0.5 ?

Or could it be that a and its inverse are equal?? *confused*

StatusX said:

Im not sure i do see why, unless what i did write was correct that a*a-1=e and the same for b.

Last edited:
Oh does it show it is abelian because for it to equal e, aba-1b-1 would need to also equal aa-1bb-1 which shows the operation is commutative.

If I am still not on the right tracks, i assume that i need to show commutativity anyhow.

I have to hand in my solutions in half an hour, so one last go at this if anyone can help. I need to show that G is abelian and it says a*a=e. To show its abelian i assume i have to demonstrate the elements are commutative. I guess i need to show elements only of a as no others are mentioned. So a=a^-1.

a*a^-1 = a^-1*a=e therefore commutative and abelian.

Last edited:
A group G is abelian if and only if ab=ba for any a and b in G. This is equivalent to saying that aba-1b-1=e for any a and b in G (why?). Now in your group, a2=e, or equivalently, a*a=e for all a. Thus, because inverses are unique (why?), a-1=a. So now we see that the expression aba-1b-1 is equal to abab (why?). And finally: why is this equal to e?

morphism said:
A group G is abelian if and only if ab=ba for any a and b in G. This is equivalent to saying that aba-1b-1=e for any a and b in G (why?). Now in your group, a2=e, or equivalently, a*a=e for all a. Thus, because inverses are unique (why?), a-1=a. So now we see that the expression aba-1b-1 is equal to abab (why?). And finally: why is this equal to e?

Because e=1 so e*e = e?

No, that's not right. Why do you say that?

morphism said:
No, that's not right. Why do you say that?

I'm very new to this, I've missed a whole semester on this stuff, but need to do it to do further modules of group theory. Oh well, i will try harder next time.

That's a good idea. You need to put in some effort to understand this stuff. Reading your posts gave me the impression that you really don't understand the fundamental ideas at work here. Better luck next time I suppose. :smile:

What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation (denoted as *) that is closed, associative, and commutative. This means that for any two elements a and b in the group, a*b and b*a will always yield the same result.

What does the expression "a*a=e" mean in an Abelian group?

The expression "a*a=e" means that for any element a in an Abelian group, there exists an identity element (denoted as e) such that when a is multiplied by itself, the result is the identity element. In other words, a*a is equal to the identity element, which is a fundamental property of Abelian groups.

What is the significance of the expression "a*a=e" in an Abelian group?

The expression "a*a=e" is significant because it represents the existence of inverse elements in an Abelian group. This means that for every element a in the group, there exists another element (denoted as a^-1) such that a*a^-1=e. In other words, multiplying any element by its inverse results in the identity element, which is a crucial property of Abelian groups.

Can an Abelian group have more than one identity element?

No, an Abelian group can only have one identity element. This is because the identity element must satisfy the property that a*e=e*a=a for any element a in the group. If there were multiple identity elements, this property would not hold.

What are some examples of Abelian groups where a*a=e?

Some examples of Abelian groups where a*a=e include the group of integers under addition, the group of real numbers under multiplication, and the group of matrices with non-zero determinants under multiplication. In these groups, the identity element is 0, 1, and the identity matrix, respectively.