Ace EE Internship Questions: Boeing, IBM, LM

In summary: For example, if you're asked about your strengths, could you share one or two examples? That would give the interviewer a feel for who you are and show that you have thought about this question. In summary, IBM is interested in hearing about your school projects and your semiconductor theory class. They are also looking for someone detail oriented and able to answer questions about the semiconductor fab process.
DefaultName
These are a list of questions I have been asked, thought you perhaps could benefit from it somehow. I've been accepted to 2/3 of the companies below, so if you can ace these questions in the interview, you're golden. Good luck!

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR SCHOOL PROJECTS IN AND OUT!

Boeing
- for a computer programming type position (phone interview):

1) Describe some projects that you've completed.
2) What are some of the languages you're fluent in?
3) Tell me about a technical problem in one of your programs and how you solved it.
4) How do you test if a program is working? What have you done in your own programs?
5) Have you had experience in working in a software team? Were your class projects individual or team based?
6) What were your responsibilities at your last internship?

---

Lockheed Martin
- for a radar (EE) position - in person interview

1) Describe some projects that you've completed.
2) Have you worked in a team?
3) Describe some projects that you've completed.
4) Have you had a conflict with a team member? If so, how did you solve it?
5) What is mean to bias a transistor?
6) What do you know about the Doppler effect?
7) What frequency ranges do radar and sonar operate?
8) How do you test a "test script"?
9) Whats the course that you dislike the most?
10) Who did you work with at your last internship?
11) How do you tell your manager that the time table he/she has given you will not work?----

IBM
- for a CMOS semiconductor position - phone interview

1) Can you tell me about your schools program?
2) What's your favorite course?
3) Are you interested in the field?
4) What are some of your hardware strengths?
5) Have you been exposed to the semiconductor fab process?
6) What did you learn in your semiconductor theory class?
7) Have you written test scripts? If so, what language?
8) Where do you see yourself after you graduate with your B.S.? Are you going to get a graduate degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple of quick notes from someone who has been been on both sides of the process.
  • Be on time and better to be a little early. Leaving a hiring manager cooling his heels while waiting for you is a good way to not get the job. Traffic happens so plan accordingly. Unless there's a major weather event like a tornado or snowstorm, you probably don't have a good reason for being late.
  • Don't submit a resume with glaring spelling mistakes. I've seen a lot more than I would expect in interviews.
  • A thank you email or card (got one once and we hired him) says a lot about a person's character.
  • Be able to answer questions such as "what are your strengths" and "what are your weaknesses"? For the second one, I always try to state a weakness that I can turn into a strength. For example, I tend to be detailed oriented which sometimes impacts others if they need something quick-and-dirty. Being detail oriented is actually a strength that a company wants but, in this case, it's listed as a weakness. I've now given them two strengths instead of what they asked for. :oldwink:

DefaultName

Those kinds of questions are the kind that some employers like to ask for a type of behavioral assessment and Your-Experience assessment. Be sure to tell the truth! Since you have a list of those obviously very general questions, you may be able to plan way ahead.

1. What is the duration of the Ace EE Internship at Boeing, IBM, and LM?

The duration of the Ace EE Internship at Boeing, IBM, and LM varies depending on the specific program and company. Generally, internships last for 10-12 weeks during the summer. Some companies may also offer part-time internships during the school year.

2. Are there any specific qualifications or requirements to apply for the Ace EE Internship?

Each company may have slightly different qualifications and requirements for their internship programs. However, in general, applicants should be pursuing a degree in electrical engineering or a related field, have a strong academic record, and possess relevant skills and experience.

3. What is the application process like for the Ace EE Internship at Boeing, IBM, and LM?

The application process for the Ace EE Internship at these companies typically includes submitting an online application, providing a resume and cover letter, and possibly completing an interview. Some companies may also require additional steps such as a technical assessment or reference checks.

4. What can I expect to learn and gain from the Ace EE Internship at Boeing, IBM, and LM?

The Ace EE Internship at these companies offers valuable hands-on experience in the field of electrical engineering. Interns will have the opportunity to work on real-world projects, collaborate with professionals in the industry, and develop important skills such as problem-solving, communication, and teamwork.

5. Are there opportunities for full-time employment after completing the Ace EE Internship at Boeing, IBM, and LM?

Many companies, including Boeing, IBM, and LM, use their internship programs as a way to identify potential future employees. While there is no guarantee of full-time employment, interns who perform well and demonstrate a strong fit with the company culture and values may be offered a job after completing their internship.