Stewart Precalculus or Blitzer's Precalculus

• Thread starter greenneub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of textbooks for reviewing Precalculus material before taking an Intro to Calculus course. Blitzer's textbook is mentioned and the question is raised about whether it heavily relies on graphing calculators. Stewart's Precalculus textbook is also mentioned, with some individuals recommending it and others suggesting looking for something more rigorous. The use of a graphing calculator in solving problems is also mentioned.
greenneub
Hey guys, just a quick question. I've just gone back to university and I'm going to be taking the Intro to Calculus course in the summer. But it has been 8 years since I did Precalculus, so I was thinking of picking up a textbook to review on my own. I went to the "Best Textbook Thread" and came across Blitzer's book. Does anyone know if Blitzer's book is heavily graphing calculator based? I've never learned precal with a graphing calculator, and they're not allowed in the first year Calculus course I'm going to be taking, so I don't see the point of picking up a text that relies on one.
Also, after scanning through the websites of several Canadian universities, quite a few of them seem to use James Stewart's Precalculus for Mathematics textbook for their adult learning/continuing education/high school credit courses. Does anyone know if Stewart's Precalculus book is any good? Especially in comparison to Blitzer's? Thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stewart's is really good I hear, so is Schaums Guide to precalc.

I would look for something more rigorous/theoretical, I don't know anything about Blitzer sorry.

I've never used Stewart's Precalculus but I've used Blitzer's & loved it. Not really sure what else to say, it came with a CD where the instructor works out problems. Which was really helpful. As for graphing calculator based, well no not really. You can use one to solve problems, but you'll run into problems if you try to solve them solely on a graphing calculator (like if there is a hole & doesn't show up). The text does show how to use a graphing calculator with the work.

1. What is the difference between Stewart Precalculus and Blitzer's Precalculus?

Stewart Precalculus and Blitzer's Precalculus are both comprehensive textbooks that cover the fundamentals of precalculus. However, Stewart Precalculus is known for its rigorous approach to mathematical concepts, while Blitzer's Precalculus is known for its engaging and accessible writing style. Additionally, Stewart Precalculus may have more advanced topics and exercises compared to Blitzer's Precalculus.

2. Who is the intended audience for Stewart Precalculus and Blitzer's Precalculus?

Both textbooks are designed for high school or college students who are studying precalculus. They are also suitable for self-study by individuals who are interested in improving their understanding of precalculus.

3. Are there any online resources available for Stewart Precalculus and Blitzer's Precalculus?

Yes, both textbooks have online resources such as practice quizzes, video lectures, and additional practice problems. These resources can be accessed through the publisher's website or through a student access code provided with the textbook.

4. Which textbook is better for preparing for the SAT or ACT?

Both Stewart Precalculus and Blitzer's Precalculus cover the topics that are commonly tested on the SAT and ACT. However, Stewart Precalculus may have more challenging exercises and a more rigorous approach, which can be beneficial for students aiming for a high score on these exams.

5. Can I use either textbook as a reference for Calculus?

Yes, both Stewart Precalculus and Blitzer's Precalculus cover the necessary topics and provide a solid foundation for students transitioning to Calculus. However, it is recommended to check with your instructor or college to see which textbook aligns with their curriculum.