How Is CP-Violation Explored in Particle Physics?

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parity
In summary: QUESTION #2the wiki article on parity states that parity is an operator-"acting on a state ψ as follows: P ψ(r) = ψ(-r). One must have P^2 ψ(r) = e^(i φ) ψ(r), since an overall phase is unobservable."This justifies the phase being unobservable because the overall phase is not observable.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
I've gained interest in the http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/" , which pertain to CP-violation.

QUESTION #1

What sort of classes/branches would teach/contain 'charge conjugation' and 'parity'?

QUESTION #2

the wiki article on parity states that parity is an operator-

"acting on a state ψ as follows: P ψ(r) = ψ(-r). One must have P^2 ψ(r) = e^(i φ) ψ(r), since an overall phase is unobservable."

I'd be interested to see the proof for P^2, and I'm curious how the overall phase being unobservable justifies this (not even sure I know what is meant by the "over all phase")

MY PHYSICS BACKGROUND

I am up to Chapter 7 in Griffith's QM. There doesn't seem to be a section on 'parity' or 'charge conjugation' in the undergrad book, so I am left to wiki

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean said:
I've gained interest in the http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/" , which pertain to CP-violation.

QUESTION #1

What sort of classes/branches would teach/contain 'charge conjugation' and 'parity'?

QUESTION #2

the wiki article on parity states that parity is an operator-

"acting on a state ψ as follows: P ψ(r) = ψ(-r). One must have P^2 ψ(r) = e^(i φ) ψ(r), since an overall phase is unobservable."

I'd be interested to see the proof for P^2, and I'm curious how the overall phase being unobservable justifies this (not even sure I know what is meant by the "over all phase")

MY PHYSICS BACKGROUND

I am up to Chapter 7 in Griffith's QM. There doesn't seem to be a section on 'parity' or 'charge conjugation' in the undergrad book, so I am left to wiki

Q1) See QFT Dirac field,KG charged field etc... electroweak model...
Q2)See wigner theorem... its on unitary operator acting on hilbert spaces that implement a symmetry trasf..

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean said:
QUESTION #1

An intro course in high energy/particle physics at the level of Perkins would give you a first glimpse of such a thing.

Zz.

1. What is parity in physics?

Parity is a fundamental concept in physics that refers to the symmetry of a physical system under spatial transformations, specifically mirror reflections.

2. What is CP-violation?

CP-violation is a phenomenon where the laws of physics do not behave in the same way under a combined transformation of charge conjugation (C) and parity (P). This means that a physical process may behave differently if particles and their corresponding antiparticles are swapped and if the system is reflected in a mirror.

3. Why is CP-violation important?

CP-violation is important because it helps explain why there is more matter than antimatter in the universe, a phenomenon known as the baryon asymmetry problem. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and the fundamental forces of nature.

4. How is CP-violation measured?

CP-violation is measured through experiments that look at the behavior of subatomic particles, such as quarks and their antiparticles, in different physical processes. These experiments typically involve colliding particles at high energies and analyzing the resulting particles and their properties.

5. Can CP-violation occur in any physical process?

Yes, CP-violation can occur in any physical process that involves the interaction of subatomic particles. However, it is a very rare phenomenon and is only observed in certain types of particles and interactions. Scientists are continuously searching for new ways to observe and study CP-violation in order to deepen our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.