Mass moment of inertia of an irregular area

In summary, the individual is struggling to find the mass moment of inertia for an irregular area and asks for help. They have the centroid and exact area, but are unsure of how to proceed. They have tried using AutoCAD but it only provides the area moment of inertia. They ask for recommendations on programs that can calculate the mass moment of inertia, and the experts suggest Alibre, Solidworks, and Pro-E as potential options. They also mention the option of manually calculating it by breaking the area into smaller parts.
garytse86
Hi. Please help. I'm struggling to find the mass moment of inertia of an area.

Please see picture.

I already have the centroid of the area, and the exact area.

How would I find the mass moment of inertia of this area about its centroid?

I tried using AutoCAD, but it gives you the *area* moment of inertia which isn't helpful to me?

do you guys know any programs that find the mass moment of inertia of an irregular area for you?

Thanks A LOT.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 504
Engineering news on Phys.org
Alibre can do that. I think Solidworks or Pro-E can too, but not sure.

Pro-E and Solidworks will definitely do it. However, you could just start breaking it up into a lot of smaller parts and calculating it yourself. I would think setting a spreadsheet up wouldn't be too difficult, just time consuming.

What is the definition of mass moment of inertia of an irregular area?

The mass moment of inertia of an irregular area is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation around an axis. It takes into account the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

How is the mass moment of inertia of an irregular area calculated?

The mass moment of inertia of an irregular area can be calculated by dividing the object into infinitesimally small elements, calculating the moment of inertia for each element, and then integrating them over the entire area.

What factors affect the mass moment of inertia of an irregular area?

The mass moment of inertia of an irregular area is affected by the shape, size, and distribution of mass of the object. Objects with higher mass concentrated farther away from the axis of rotation will have a larger mass moment of inertia.

Why is the mass moment of inertia of an irregular area important in engineering and physics?

The mass moment of inertia of an irregular area is important in engineering and physics because it is used to calculate the torque required to rotate an object around an axis. It also plays a significant role in predicting an object's stability and its response to rotational forces.

How does the mass moment of inertia of an irregular area differ from that of a regular area?

The mass moment of inertia of an irregular area is more complex to calculate than that of a regular area, as it takes into account the varying distribution of mass. It also tends to be larger for irregular areas due to the uneven distribution of mass.