Suction related to opening a door quickly

• Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suction
In summary, when opening two doors in quick succession, the work required is the summation of the individual works for each door. This is because when one door is opened quickly, it creates a suction effect that allows the second door to open as well. This is similar to the concept of a siphon in nature, where energy is supplied by the final effect to overcome the activation energy needed to start a process. The speed at which the first door is opened also affects the ease with which the air can escape, causing a difference in the amount of energy needed to open both doors at once. Overall, opening both doors quickly requires twice the amount of effort compared to opening one door slowly.
bassplayer142
Say you go into a building where you open one door walk a few feet and open another door. I have noticed that if you open the first door fast the other door obviously opens due to suction? Basically are you doing the work it requires to open two doors or basically the summation of the work of opening both doors?

Physics news on Phys.org
The work one does in opening the door is simply the force applied by one integrated over the distance applied. That work has nothing to do with the second door.

When opens a door rapidly, one is both moving the mass of the door and applying momentum to the air in front of the door. That momentum applied to the air briefly displaces the air and reduces the pressure behind it (suction). The reduced air pressure in the chamber between two doors allows the higher pressure on the back side of the second door to push it open.

That is based on a force impulse. The siphon is continuous. It would be analogous to hundreds of doors opening one by one with only one push. One way to explain this scenario, is each door has potential energy within a trigger release spring. All it will take is a small pressure difference to release this spring energy. That will make the pressure pulse for the door, etc.,

This affect is common to chemical reactions. The reactants, before they can lower energy need to climb an activation energy hill. The spring is the difference between starting and final products. The activation energy is supplied by the final affect, with the result one gets more energy out than needed to activate the process. The current theory goes from start to finish directly. But nature uses an activation hump, with the energy to overcome the hump supplied by the final affect. That assumes one is trying to get a chain reaction for lowering potential, sort of like a siphon.

So then the second door that swung open would have the same amount of work as it closes. thanks you guys.

bassplayer142 said:
Say you go into a building where you open one door walk a few feet and open another door. I have noticed that if you open the first door fast the other door obviously opens due to suction? Basically are you doing the work it requires to open two doors or basically the summation of the work of opening both doors?

Yes exactly, you are indeed opening both doors instead of one. but its not suction.

It's just that the object (air) carrying the force from one door to the other is noticeably compressible. It's identical to having both doors connected by a spring.

The speed dependence is obviously due to air escaping easily past the opening you made in the fist door only if you open it slowly enough. Open it quick and the air acts like a spring before it can escape.

Ahhhh, I feel like I understand it a lot better. Thanks to all.

bassplayer142 said:
Ahhhh, I feel like I understand it a lot better. Thanks to all.

Oops, the mechanism could be suction, its just when I visualised it I assumed you'd pushed the first door rather than pulled on it.
But it all works out the same really, in my opinion you are simply opening both doors at the same time so it requires twice the amount of effort to both doors quickly than it does to open one door slowly.
i.e. twice the amount of energy is needed if the air is trapped, because you're actually opening both at once.

1. What is the concept of suction when opening a door quickly?

When a door is opened quickly, there is a sudden change in air pressure on either side of the door. This change in pressure creates a suction force that affects the movement of the door.

2. How does suction affect the opening of a door?

Suction can either make it easier or harder to open a door quickly, depending on the direction of the force. If the suction force is pulling the door towards you, it may be easier to open. However, if the suction force is pushing the door away from you, it may be more difficult to open.

3. Can suction cause a door to slam shut?

Yes, if the suction force is strong enough, it can cause a door to slam shut. This is because the change in air pressure can create a sudden and strong force that can push the door closed.

4. How can I reduce the suction force when opening a door quickly?

To reduce the suction force when opening a door quickly, you can try opening the door slowly or cracking a window or door on the opposite side of the room to allow for equalization of air pressure.

5. Is there a risk of injury when dealing with suction and opening a door quickly?

There is a potential risk of injury if the suction force is strong enough to cause the door to slam shut, leading to fingers or other body parts getting caught in the door. It is important to be cautious and aware of the suction force when opening a door quickly.