Calculating Work: Pushing a Block Up a Frictionless Incline

• Thread starter featherua08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the amount of work required to push a 25-kg block up a 2m frictionless incline at a constant speed can be calculated using the equation W=F(delta X) or W=(F cos theta)(delta X). By factoring in the angle and using a coordinate plane parallel to the incline, the correct answer of 245 is obtained. The total weight to consider is the weight of the block, and the distance is 2m.
featherua08

Homework Statement

How much work is required to push a 25-kg block up 2m up a frictionless 30 degree incline at a constant speed?

Homework Equations

W=F(delta X) ; W=(F cos theta)(delta X)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did n=mg -- n=(25)(9.8)=245 & that is the correct answer..but I don't understand how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, by coincidence you didn't factor in the angle and still go the right answer.

Start off by having a coordinate plane that is parallel to the incline of the ramp. Figure out what component of the total weight (mg) you are pushing up the ramp and by what distance.

I don't think I understand what you mean. The distance is 2m and wouldn't the total weight simply be the weight of the block?

1. How is work defined in science?

In science, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. What units are used to measure work?

The standard unit for measuring work is the joule (J), which is equivalent to 1 newton-meter (N⋅m). In some cases, other units such as calories or foot-pounds may be used.

3. How do you calculate the amount of work required?

To calculate the amount of work required, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is: Work = Force x Distance.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative if the force and the direction of movement are in opposite directions. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force, resulting in a negative value for work.

5. What factors affect the amount of work required?

The amount of work required can be affected by factors such as the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance the object moves, and the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of movement.