Polar coordinates finding area between two curves

In summary, the conversation is about finding the proper integral to evaluate the area made by two curves, r=sinx and r=cosx. The solution involves graphing the curves and determining the interval, which is from 0 to π/2. The circles intersect at θ=π/4 and the integral can be found by integrating cos(θ) from 0 to π/4 and doubling it due to symmetry. The conversation takes place in a Calculus 2 setting.
th3plan

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

r=sinx
r= cosx

Ok , i need help how to properly select the integral to evaluate the area they make. Can someone please show me how , i know how to evaluate it just having hard times with integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
it will be easiest if you first draw out the curves. This will help you figure out what your integral should be.

i graphed it on calculator, and i did set them equal to each other to get tanx=1 but from here on idk what to do

first of all over what interval?

if you're given those in parametric form in polar, you are going to get two circles in the x,y (or r,theta) plane, i believe. But as ice109 said, its also important that you know how x varies for this one.

the interval is 0,2pi

Multiply both sides by r, then change to rectangular form. Is this Calculus 2 or 3? B/c I did this problem yesterday.

Calc 2

how would i change it to rectangular form, using x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta)

?

th3plan said:
the interval is 0,2pi
No, it isn't. Since sine and cosine are negative for half that interval using 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] gives you each circle twice. And, in fact, the area you want only requires [itex]\theta[/itex] going from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

However, you are correct that the circles intersect when tan[itex]\theta[/itex]= 1- that is, at [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] as well as at 0. For [itex]0\le \theta\le \pi/4[/itex], a radius goes from 0 to cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) while from [itex]\pi/4\le \theta\le \pi/2[/itex] it goes from 0 to sin([itex]\theta[/itex]). From symmetry, you should be able to integrate cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) from 0 to [itex]\pi/4[/itex] and double.

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used to find the area between two curves?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference line. They are useful for finding the area between two curves because they can represent circular or curved shapes more efficiently than traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2. Can polar coordinates be used to find the area between curves that intersect?

Yes, polar coordinates can still be used to find the area between curves that intersect. The key is to first determine the points of intersection and then use the polar coordinates to set up the integral for finding the area.

3. Is there a specific formula or method for finding the area between two curves using polar coordinates?

Yes, there is a specific formula for finding the area between two curves using polar coordinates. It involves setting up an integral using the difference between the two polar equations and integrating with respect to the angle.

4. What are some common applications of finding the area between two curves using polar coordinates?

Some common applications of finding the area between two curves using polar coordinates include calculating the area of a circular or curved region, determining the area of overlap between two circular objects, and finding the area of a sector or segment in a polar graph.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates to find the area between two curves?

One limitation is that polar coordinates can only be used for shapes that are symmetric about the origin. Additionally, if the curves are not well-defined in polar coordinates, it may be difficult to accurately calculate the area between them.