Building a Newspaper Boat for Physics Class

In summary, the physics teacher gave us a project to build a boat out of newspaper, masking tape, and shellack. The boat will have to go from one end of a pool to the other and the first person to do so will win. The design that the student has come up with is to use chicken wire as a mold to shape the newspaper and then to coat the entire boat with shellac. The boat will be propelled by hand and will not be stable if it rolls over. There are several possible designs for the boat, but the most stable and fastest option is a round hull with secondary stability. The student is hoping that by doing this project they will learn more about how boats work and how to build them.
hamburgler
My physics teacher gave us kind of a cool end of the year project: To construct a boat made entirely out of newspaper, masking tape, and shellack (I think this is the proper spelling). The boat will then have to go from end to end in a pool and the first person who does so wins.

My idea is basically to take chicken wire and bend it into the shape of a kayak, then layering the newspaper sheet by sheet using shellack as a bonding agent. My main concern will be that when the person sits in the boat, the newspaper will rip!

Any ideas on alternate designs or suggestions on how to improve my present design? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like a good design to me. The wire should prevent ripping, and the shellac will make the paper water-proof.

Yep! Don't take it upon yourself to design a hull, etc. Borrow a nice kayak, flip it upside-down and coat the bottom with Ivory bar soap. Wrap the bottom with wet newspaper, and let it dry. Coat with shellac and repeat until you have a nice stiff shell. Pull off the shell (your boat) and use the duct tape to keep the sides of the shell supported and aligned (imagine a skeletal "deck" of duct tape) and you should be in pretty good shape.

hamburgler said:
To construct a boat made entirely out of newspaper, masking tape, and shellack (I think this is the proper spelling). The boat will then have to go from end to end in a pool and the first person who does so wins.

My idea is basically to take chicken wire …

But are you allowed to use chicken wire?

And how does the teacher expect you to propel the boat? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
But are you allowed to use chicken wire?

And how does the teacher expect you to propel the boat? :confused:

I'm going to use the chicken wire as a mold to shape the newspaper and will be removed after the newspaper has dried.

We have to propel it by our hands! I really don't know how it's going to work. I was thinking of making oars out of rolled up newspaper, but haha I don't know how well that would work...

hamburgler said:
… the shape of a kayak …

Hi hamburgler! :smile:

A few thoughts … :rolleyes:

How are you going to make it stable? :smile:

You have to sit up in a kayak … do you know what stops a kayak from rolling over (and can you right it without a paddle)? :redface:

Will any part of the hull be sealed?

Longer is faster, but less manoeuvrable.

Narrower is faster, but less stable.

A round hull has better secondary stability.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayak#Design_of_traditional_style_kayaks for some tips. :smile:

And …
:rofl: … can you swim … ? :rofl:​

Update:

I did some prototypes with the kayak shape and they epically failed, so now I am thinking of a square shape.

Also, I was thinking about interlacing rolled up newspaper as a strong base for the boat. I'm really hoping this will work because it is during in a little over a week!

Rolling up newspaper won't make it any stronger, since newsprint is essentially fine ground-wood with little or no long fiber in it. In this case the binding has to come from the shellac or other binding agent that you use. If you are allowed to use epoxy to bond the newspaper, that would be a stronger (though more expensive) option.

What about a surfboard like shape that you lie down on? This would be easy to paddle across the pool with, and wouldn't require as much strength as a conventional "boat".

turbo-1 said:
Rolling up newspaper won't make it any stronger, since newsprint is essentially fine ground-wood with little or no long fiber in it. In this case the binding has to come from the shellac or other binding agent that you use. If you are allowed to use epoxy to bond the newspaper, that would be a stronger (though more expensive) option.

I figured I could use the masking tape to hold the rolls together...?

Jeff Reid said:
What about a surfboard like shape that you lie down on? This would be easy to paddle across the pool with, and wouldn't require as much strength as a conventional "boat".

Haha, unfortunately the rules specifically state no surfboard boats :(

Hi Hamburgler; Saw your plight and would like to encourage your efforts. I've read that before the advent of fiberglass there were several rowing shells made from paper and varnish. I've also recently read about a dory made from newspaper
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n2self/216150564/in/set-72157594238234602/
So it looks like it's definitely possible.
Good luck!

1. How do I build a newspaper boat for physics class?

To build a newspaper boat for physics class, you will need a sheet of newspaper, scissors, and tape. First, fold the newspaper in half lengthwise, then fold the corners down to create a triangle. Fold the bottom edge up to meet the triangle, then fold the top edge down to create a smaller triangle. Fold the bottom edge up again, then fold the sides in towards the center. Finally, fold the bottom edge up to create the boat's base and secure with tape.

2. How does a newspaper boat demonstrate physics concepts?

A newspaper boat demonstrates principles of buoyancy and surface tension. By folding the paper in a specific way, the boat creates a shape that displaces a large amount of water, making it more buoyant. The surface tension of the water allows the boat to float and support additional weight, such as paper clips or coins, before sinking.

3. What are some variations of the newspaper boat experiment?

There are several variations of the newspaper boat experiment that can be done in physics class. One variation is to change the size or shape of the boat and observe how it affects buoyancy and stability. Another variation is to test different types of paper, such as construction paper or wax paper, to see how they affect the boat's ability to float. You can also experiment with adding weight to the boat and observe how it affects its ability to float.

4. What are the real-world applications of the newspaper boat experiment?

The newspaper boat experiment has real-world applications in engineering and shipbuilding. Understanding the principles of buoyancy and surface tension is crucial in designing and building ships that can float and support heavy loads. The experiment can also be used to illustrate the concept of displacement, which is important in understanding how ships stay afloat and how objects sink or float in water.

5. How can I make the newspaper boat experiment more challenging?

To make the newspaper boat experiment more challenging, you can add constraints, such as limiting the amount of tape or paper that can be used. You can also have students design their boats to hold specific weights or travel a certain distance in water. Another idea is to have students race their boats against each other and analyze the factors that affect their speed and stability.