Troubleshooting Forum Post Previews: Database Error and Potential Workarounds

• Thread starter mlearner
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using the preview feature on the Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums database. The individual has encountered a database error and is wondering if it will be fixed soon or if there is a workaround. They also mention trying the preview function in a different subforum and it working, but experiencing issues with the "Calculus and Analysis" subforum. They provide links to recommended sites for testing latex before posting due to a recent software upgrade on the forum potentially causing bugs.
mlearner
Hi,

I want to make a somewhat latex-heavy post in one of the subforums, so to check if everything looks I'm trying to use the preview feature. However pressing the "preview post" button shows an error page with the following message:
Database error
The Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums database has encountered a problem.

Is this problem going to fixed soon, or is there a work around, etc.?

Update:
I tried the preview function with a post in the current subforum, and it worked... maybe the problem is with the particular subforum then? It's "Calculus and Analysis" by the way...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried the preview post with Latex in that subforum ("Calculus and Analysis"). Seems to work OK.

The forum has had a software upgrade so it may be buggy. You can test your latex on dedicated sites before you post it if its still playing up. Here is a recommended one.

http://at.org/~cola/tex2img/index.php

or an alternative.

http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is my post preview not working?

There could be several reasons why your post preview is not working. It could be due to a technical issue with the platform or browser you are using, a problem with your internet connection, or an error in the code of your post.

2. How can I fix my post preview not working?

First, try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. If that doesn't work, check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. If the issue persists, review the code of your post for any errors or contact the platform's technical support for assistance.

3. Can I still post without the preview working?

Yes, you can still post without the preview working. However, it is recommended to fix the issue to ensure that your post appears as intended.

4. Is there a specific browser or device I should use for the post preview to work?

No, the post preview should work on most browsers and devices. However, some older browsers may not support certain features, which could affect the preview. It is best to use the latest version of a popular browser for optimal performance.

5. Will my post preview not working affect how my post appears to others?

Possibly. If there are errors in your post's code, it may not appear as intended to others. It is important to fix the issue with the preview to ensure that your post is displayed correctly to your audience.