The Science Behind Why Water Freezes When Shaken

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to remember the explanation for why a bottle of water doesn't freeze when placed in the freezer for a long time, but instantly freezes when shaken. They recall learning about it in high school and mention the term "supercooling" as the explanation for this phenomenon. They also mention searching for videos on YouTube about it and thanking another person for reminding them of this concept.
swraman
Hi.

I for the life of me can't remember the explination to this...I remember learning it in High school but now I am just drawing a blank.

When I put a bottle of water in the freezer and let it sit for a long time, it doesn't freeze.

When I pull out the bottle it is clearly 100% still liquid. But, If I give it a shake, BAM! Instant Ice.

I remember something about the water molecules getting in place, but under some condition they don't freeze but still get colder and colder...but if something moves them they will instantly freeze. Not sure if this is right.

I don't know, but this has been happening to me for a few days now and I just want to know why. Cant seem to find it on the internet anywhere!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
searcg for "supercooling"

You can find videos on youtube about this. As mgb_phys said, it's "supercooling"

Ah, thanks, now I remember.

I should remember this, haha last semester we covered it in chem and did demos on it...:rolleyes:

Thanks again

What is the scientific explanation behind why water freezes when shaken?

When water is shaken, the molecules inside are agitated and collide with each other more frequently. This increased movement creates more kinetic energy, causing the temperature of the water to rise. However, when the shaking stops, the water molecules begin to slow down and the temperature decreases. If the temperature drops below 32°F (0°C), the water molecules lose enough energy to form a crystalline structure, resulting in the formation of ice.

Why does water freeze faster when shaken compared to still water?

Shaking water agitates the molecules and causes them to collide more frequently, which increases the rate of heat transfer within the water. This means that the heat from the water is transferred to the colder surroundings more quickly, causing the water to freeze faster.

Is there a specific way to shake water to make it freeze faster?

While there is no specific way to shake water to make it freeze faster, the key is to agitate the water enough to increase the rate of heat transfer. This can be achieved by shaking the water vigorously or using a tool, such as a blender, to create more movement.

Can shaking water make it freeze at a higher temperature than 32°F (0°C)?

No, shaking water only affects the rate at which it freezes, not the temperature at which it freezes. Water will still freeze at 32°F (0°C) regardless of whether it is shaken or not.

Does the type of container or vessel used to shake the water affect the freezing process?

Yes, the type of container used can affect the freezing process. For example, a metal container may conduct heat more quickly than a plastic container, resulting in faster freezing. Additionally, a wider or shallower container may allow for more surface area for heat transfer, also affecting the freezing process.