Calculating Forces in Roof Truss Members for Basic Roof Truss Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem for a Basic Roof Truss experiment. The speaker first measures the deflection of each member by applying weights. They then put the members into a roof structure and are required to find the theoretical forces in each member for comparison with experimental results. They mention using the parallelogram method and sine rule to find the forces, with Fa and Fb having the same magnitude and Fc being half of Fa. However, the experimental results show significant differences in forces for each member. The speaker asks for help in calculating the forces and mentions using dial gauges to measure deflection. The conversation also discusses the difficulty of finding forces for a rigid truss that should not show deflection. Finally, the
CharlesL
Im doing this problem as a part of the experiment for a Basic Roof Truss. I first started off measuring the deflection for each member of the roof truss (member dismantled from the roof structure) by applying certain amounts of weights. Next I put all the members up into a roof structure as shown in the picture with 60 degrees at each vertex. I am required to find the forces in each of the member thereotically to compare with my experimental results. I am having problems finding the forces in each member thereotically.

The attempt at a solution
In the second diagram,I started by using the parallelogram method and sine rule to find the magnitude of force in member A and B. As a result, Fa and Fb has the same magnitude. Then by using Fa , I used sine rule to obtain Fc as shown in the second diagram. The magnitude of forces i obtain each are about 50% error.
The results i obtain in my experiment shows significant different amount of forces in each member.

Could someone please show me the way to calculate the forces in the members? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• truss.jpg
    truss.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 999
  • Truss working.jpg
    Truss working.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 735
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Fa and Fb should be equal (in compression), and using the properties of a 30-60-90 triangle, Fc should be 1/2 of Fa (in tension). I don't know what numbers you're getting, and what you are comparing it to in your experimental results. You seem to mention deflection measurements under some load applied to the dismembered members? I don't understand. For theoretical load calculations, you might want to google on "truss method of joints".

Yep that was exactly what i got. Fa and Fb as equal and Fc is half of Fa. The deflection measurements are from the dial gauges installed in each member. When they are hung vertically with a load at the bottom, the members tend to stretch and the small amount of stretch is measured as the deflection. Anyway what i go for my experiment shows that Fa and Fb is different as well as Fc. And their difference are by a lot.

Thank you for your help. Appreciate it.

Aren't the members of a rigid truss are not supposed to show deflection?

shramana said:
Aren't the members of a rigid truss are not supposed to show deflection?
This will make your problem much more difficult.

At first you should ignore this and come up with a rough estimate. Then complete the calculation with the deflections which is tedious. The finite element method is a structured method to solve for the forces in a elegant and structured manner.

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural system composed of interconnected beams, designed to transfer loads and forces to supporting structures. It is commonly used in structures such as bridges, roofs, and towers.

2. What is the purpose of a truss in structural engineering?

The purpose of a truss is to provide a lightweight and efficient means of supporting loads. It distributes the weight of a structure evenly and can withstand large amounts of tension and compression forces.

3. How do you solve a statics problem involving a truss?

To solve a statics problem involving a truss, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the truss, indicating all external and internal forces acting on each member. Then, you can use equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces and ensure that the structure is in a state of static equilibrium.

4. What are the common assumptions made in analyzing a truss?

The common assumptions made in analyzing a truss include: negligible weight of the members, pin or hinge connections at all joints, and no thermal expansion or contraction of the members.

5. How do you determine the stability of a truss?

The stability of a truss can be determined by conducting a structural analysis to ensure that all forces and moments are in equilibrium. In addition, the truss should also be checked for its ability to resist buckling, excessive deflection, and failure due to material strength.