Monitor Power Usage: Find Programs to Track PC Energy

• Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of monitoring power usage on a computer. It is suggested that a hardware option, such as a sensor or device like "Watts up?" may be necessary. Additionally, it is mentioned that Windows XP has a feature to track power consumption and an ammeter can also be used. Finally, the conversation concludes with a link to the specific components of the speaker's computer systems.
Dissident Dan
Does anyone know of any programs that let you monitor how much power your computer is using?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Laptop or desktop ?
I would think something like this might likely have to be a motherboard or power supply option (requires a sensor, which means a hardware item). It would cost money but a device similar to the "Watts up?" could work in a worst case senario;

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=19&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on how you define power.

Are you using Windows XP?

If so go to
Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Performance
From there you can create logs which track everything going on on your computer. There is probably a counter in there you can add to track power consumption.

If you mean electric power, the best/simplest way is externally with an ammeter.

power usage

Well I measured the wattage usage for my 2 computers and it interesting.
for example my main computer uses only 120 watts when the cpu is idle, just doing nothing with no power saving mode of any type.
My second computer uses 130 watts, but it's funny, it's just basicly like a 100 watt light bulb, anyways here is a link http://65.23.133.205/spec/ to what is exactly inside in my computer systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a program for tracking PC energy usage?

A program for tracking PC energy usage is a software application that monitors the amount of energy being consumed by a computer. It can track the energy usage of individual programs and provide data on how much energy each program is using.

2. How does a program for tracking PC energy usage work?

A program for tracking PC energy usage works by collecting data from the computer's hardware and software. It measures the energy consumption of each program by analyzing the amount of CPU, memory, and disk usage. This data is then displayed in a user-friendly interface for easy monitoring.

3. Why is it important to track PC energy usage?

Tracking PC energy usage is important for several reasons. It can help you identify which programs are using the most energy, allowing you to make informed decisions on which programs to keep running and which ones to close. It can also help you reduce your energy consumption and save money on electricity bills.

4. What are the benefits of using a program for tracking PC energy usage?

Using a program for tracking PC energy usage has several benefits. It can help you save money on energy bills by identifying energy-hungry programs and allowing you to close them. It can also help you increase the lifespan of your computer by reducing its energy consumption and preventing overheating.

5. Are there any free programs for tracking PC energy usage?

Yes, there are several free programs available for tracking PC energy usage. Some popular options include Joulemeter, Windows Task Manager, and Open Hardware Monitor. These programs are easy to use and provide valuable data on your computer's energy consumption.