Preserving Orientation in Spheres?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the statement that the function f:S^n->S^n (the n unit sphere), f(x)=-x preserves orientation iff n is odd is equivalent to PR^n is orientable iff n is odd. This is because if n is odd, the quotient map from S^n to RP^n is locally a diffeomorphism and the fact that x->-x is orientation preserving means that the orientation given by antipodal points agree, giving a globally defined orientation on RP^n.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Is the statement:
the function f:S^n->S^n (the n unit sphere), f(x)=-x preserves orientation iff n is odd
equivalent to:
PR^n is orientable iff n is odd
where PR^n is the projective real space.

I think the answer is yes, just want to be sure here.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes.

What is the reason for this?

Using the fact that the quotient map from S^n to RP^n (x-->[x], where x~y iff y=±x) is a local diffeomorphism and the fact that the antipodal map above is orientation reversing, I can get a contradiction from the hypotheses that RP^n is orientable when n is even. But when n is odd, it's another game. How does that work?

Thanks.

When n is odd, the quotient map f:S^n->RP^n is locally a diffeomorphism, so it locally maps an orientation on S^n to RP^n and, the fact that x->-x is orientation preserving means that the orientation given by antipodal points agree, giving a globally defined orientation on RP^n.

Yes that's obviously the general idea. But thanks, I figured out a way to work out the details just a moment ago.

It's not very elegant though... I start by considering an atlas of consistently oriented charts of S^n such that
(1) The restriction of p to each coordinate chart is a diffeomorphism onto its image.
(2) if U is a coordinate chart around x and V a coordinate chart around -x, then U and V do not intersect.

I then push the atlas to RP^n via p, and now it remains to show that this atlas of RP^n is too, consistently oriented. So I take some point [x] in RP^n. Then for any chart U'=p(U), V'=p(V) around [x], either
(a) U n V is empty and (W.L.O.G.) x is in U, -x is in V
(b) U and V intersect

In each case, the transition function from U' to V' is shown to have positive determinant. In case (a), the antipodal map comes in and the fact that it itself has positive determinant (for n odd) is the key.

Is there an obvious swifter way I am missing?

1. What are equivalent statements?

Equivalent statements are statements that have the same meaning or truth value. This means that if one statement is true, the other statement will also be true, and if one statement is false, the other statement will also be false.

2. How can you determine if two statements are equivalent?

To determine if two statements are equivalent, you can use logical equivalences such as the commutative, associative, and distributive properties to manipulate the statements and see if they are identical in form. You can also use truth tables to compare the truth values of the two statements.

3. Why is it important to understand equivalent statements?

Understanding equivalent statements is important in logic and mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex statements and make logical deductions. It also helps us to recognize patterns and connections between different statements, which can be useful in problem-solving and decision making.

4. What is the difference between logically equivalent and materially equivalent statements?

Logically equivalent statements have the same truth value, while materially equivalent statements have the same meaning. This means that logically equivalent statements will always have the same truth value, while materially equivalent statements may not always have the same truth value but will convey the same information.

5. Can two contradictory statements be equivalent?

No, two contradictory statements cannot be equivalent. Contradictory statements have opposite truth values, so they can never be equivalent. For example, "It is raining" and "It is not raining" are contradictory statements and are not equivalent.