Book on laplace transforms & fourier series

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for recommendations on an introductory book that covers laplace transforms and Fourier series. One person suggests a book by Howard Anton that they find very good, but another person recommends a different book that is short, clear, and suitable for both math and physics students.
:|max
Hi hows it going,

Im currently doing a linear maths course, i suppose it'd be introductory. I am using Elementary Linear algebra by Howard anton and find that very good. However the course goes on to deal with laplace transforms and Fourier series, can anyone recommend a good (introductory) book that deals with these topics?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a fan of this book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1852330155/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's short and to the point; the presentation is extremely clear - it's rigorous enough to be a math book but casual enough for my feeble physicist brain to wrap around... You should see if it's in your school library.

thanks will, I'll have a look for that one

1. What are Laplace transforms and Fourier series?

Laplace transforms and Fourier series are mathematical tools used to analyze and solve differential equations. They involve transforming a function in the time domain to a function in the frequency domain, allowing for easier analysis and solution of complex equations.

2. How are Laplace transforms and Fourier series related?

Laplace transforms and Fourier series are closely related as they both involve transforming a function between the time and frequency domains. Laplace transforms are typically used for analyzing and solving differential equations, while Fourier series are used for representing periodic functions as a sum of sinusoidal functions.

3. What are some applications of Laplace transforms and Fourier series?

Laplace transforms and Fourier series have many real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing circuit behavior, in signal processing for filtering and analysis, and in physics for solving differential equations related to motion and vibrations.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms and Fourier series?

While Laplace transforms and Fourier series are powerful mathematical tools, they do have limitations. They may not be applicable to all types of functions, and their calculations may become complex for highly nonlinear or discontinuous functions.

5. How can I learn more about Laplace transforms and Fourier series?

There are many resources available to learn more about Laplace transforms and Fourier series, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and courses. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of calculus and complex numbers before delving into these topics.