Convergence of Maclaurin Series and Radius of Convergence

• Thread starter asi123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the conversation discusses developing a function into a Maclaurin series and finding the radius of convergence. It is mentioned that the series (-1)^n does not converge and various methods are suggested for testing convergence. The conversation also addresses an arbitrary constant that must be evaluated and suggests using a ratio test for the radius of convergence.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey.
I need to develop this function into Maclaurin series and to find the radius of converges, did I do it right?
And another thing, does the series (-1)^n from 1 to infinity (I know, my latex rocks) converges ? I'm pretty sure it's not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org

It looks for most part correct. However, when you integrated you forgot to include the constant term, but that should be easy enough for you pick off. The convergence looks correct. You can pick off the convergence from function you approximating in this case (when does ln behave badly?). Also, (-1)^n does not converge by the limit test (as n->infinity it should go to zero). However, you don't have to worry because the rest of the series converges. You could also use the limit test to test the total convergence of this and find where it breaks down. Then again, there are many tests for convergence.

Your series expression for f(x) is right, up to a point. Don't forget that when you develop a power series by integration that you pick up, yes, an arbitrary constant. So that needs to be evaluated. Pick a value for x that will make this easy to deal with, like x = 0. The entire infinite polynomial becomes zero and you just have f(0) = C , so C = ln 2 .

The way you wrote your series otherwise is all right, though many sources would deal with it differently. Rather than removing a factor of x, many people would instead bring the (1/2) under the summation sign, making the general term

[tex](-1)^n \cdot 2^{-(n+1)} \cdot \frac{1}{n+1} \cdot x^{n+1}[/tex]

Since the index on the infinite sum now starts at 1 , they would next perform an "index shift" by re-assigning (n+1) to n . The index now starts at zero again and the Maclaurin series for our function becomes

[tex] ln(x+2) = ln 2 + \Sigma^{\infty}_{n = 0} (-1)^{n-1} \cdot \frac{x^n}{n 2^{n} }[/tex]

I use a Ratio Test for the radius of convergence, rather than what you used, but I generally agree with your result (though you should write it simply as R = 2 ; radii are non-negative, so you wouldn't write -2 < R < 2 -- I believe you're thinking of the interval of convergence, for which we would still need to test the endpoints...).

The infinite alternating series

1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ...

does not converge by reason of indeterminancy. Since we have a literally infinite reserve of positive and negative 1's, it is possible to use this alternating series to create any integer you like. Thus

0 = 1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ... [infinite pairs of cancelling terms]

3 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ... [infinite pairs of cancelling terms]

-2 = (-1) + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ... [infinite pairs of cancelling terms] , etc.

We can pull out any finite number of positive or negative 1's to produce any desired integer and still be guaranteed total cancellation of "the rest" of the infinity of terms. Such things are in the nature of infinite sets...

Last edited:

dynamicsolo said:
Your series expression for f(x) is right, up to a point. Don't forget that when you develop a power series by integration that you pick up, yes, an arbitrary constant. So that needs to be evaluated. Pick a value for x that will make this easy to deal with, like x = 0. The entire infinite polynomial becomes zero and you just have f(0) = C , so C = ln 2 .

The way you wrote your series otherwise is all right, though many sources would deal with it differently. Rather than removing a factor of x, many people would instead bring the (1/2) under the summation sign, making the general term

[tex](-1)^n \cdot 2^{-(n+1)} \cdot \frac{1}{n+1} \cdot x^{n+1}[/tex]

Since the index on the infinite sum now starts at 1 , they would next perform an "index shift" by re-assigning (n+1) to n . The index now starts at zero again and the Maclaurin series for our function becomes

[tex] ln(x+2) = ln 2 + \Sigma^{\infty}_{n = 0} (-1)^{n-1} \cdot \frac{x^n}{n 2^{n} }[/tex]

I use a Ratio Test for the radius of convergence, rather than what you used, but I generally agree with your result (though you should write it simply as R = 2 ; radii are non-negative, so you wouldn't write -2 < R < 2 -- I believe you're thinking of the interval of convergence, for which we would still need to test the endpoints...).

The infinite alternating series

1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ...

does not converge by reason of indeterminancy. Since we have a literally infinite reserve of positive and negative 1's, it is possible to use this alternating series to create any integer you like. Thus

0 = 1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ... [infinite pairs of cancelling terms]

3 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ... [infinite pairs of cancelling terms]

-2 = (-1) + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) + ... [infinite pairs of cancelling terms] , etc.

We can pull out any finite number of positive or negative 1's to produce any desired integer and still be guaranteed total cancellation of "the rest" of the infinity of terms. Such things are in the nature of infinite sets...

10x a lot

asi123 said:
10x a lot

When I was in school (ha! as opposed to what I do now?), we wrote that as tan(q)>>1 [read "tan q very much"]... :wink:

1. What is the meaning of "radius of convergence" in a power series?

The radius of convergence in a power series is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series still converges. In other words, it is the maximum distance from the center where the series will still converge.

2. How do you find the radius of convergence for a power series?

To find the radius of convergence for a power series, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of the terms in the series as n approaches infinity. The radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of this limit.

3. Does every power series have a radius of convergence?

No, not every power series has a radius of convergence. Some power series may have a radius of convergence of 0, meaning they only converge at the center of the series. Other power series may have a radius of convergence of infinity, meaning they converge for all values of x.

4. Can the radius of convergence of a power series change?

Yes, the radius of convergence of a power series can change depending on the value of x. For example, a power series may have a different radius of convergence for x=2 compared to x=5. Additionally, the radius of convergence can change if the terms in the series are altered in any way.

5. How does the radius of convergence affect the behavior of a power series?

The radius of convergence is important because it determines the set of values for which the power series will converge. If a value of x is within the radius of convergence, then the series will converge and we can use the series to approximate the function. If a value of x is outside the radius of convergence, then the series will diverge and cannot be used to approximate the function.