How prepared is California for the Big One

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    california
In summary, cities in California are preparing for the "Big One" by creating groups to prepare for disaster, having medical reserves, and training in disaster preparedness.
hammertime
how prepared is California for the "Big One"

I was in Los Angeles during the recent 5.4 earthquake and it got me asking - how prepared is California for the "Big One" that's supposed to come soon? Also, I've heard that cities like Chicago and NY are also at risk for high-magnitude earthquakes, even though it may not seem like it. How prepared are those cities, at the moment, for such catastrophes? I mean, what kind of buildings would be at risk?

What about in cities like Seattle, Sydney, Auckland, and HK?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here in the Silicon Valley area of Northern California (SF Bay area, South Bay, East Bay, Alameda County, Santa Clara County, etc.), we work hard at emergency preparedness. That doesn't mean that we are totally prepared, but we are working toward being as prepared as we can be.

Most of our cities have active CERT groups (Community Emergency Response Teams), which are trained by the local fire departments in disaster preparedness, light search and rescue, basic firefighting, triage, etc. We also have several Medical Reserve Corps groups, which will be providing medical assistance to the city resources after a disaster. We have some very active HAM radio groups, who train and drill with the CERT groups and the city EOCs (Emergency Operations Centers), as well as conducting our own communication activities.

We are pretty well prepared now, and working hard toward being even better prepared for the next big earthquake. The Hayward Fault, which runs through the East Bay Area (where I live) is due for a pretty big quake here soon. It has a pretty regular quake schedule, and it is just about time...

http://www.medicalreservecorps.gov/HomePage

http://www.newarkcert.com/

http://www.redcrossbayarea.org/pba/

Last edited by a moderator:

I think, as far 'when it does happen' , people have/get more time to personally ready themselves for tornadoes as they're still more 'forecastable' than earthquakes, even in the 'minutes' area.

hammertime said:
I was in Los Angeles during the recent 5.4 earthquake and it got me asking - how prepared is California for the "Big One" that's supposed to come soon? Also, I've heard that cities like Chicago and NY are also at risk for high-magnitude earthquakes, even though it may not seem like it. How prepared are those cities, at the moment, for such catastrophes? I mean, what kind of buildings would be at risk?

What about in cities like Seattle, Sydney, Auckland, and HK?

No one is ever really prepared one supposes. But certainly higher risk areas have surely developed plans to deal with what may come.

Chicago and New York are not quite as likely for the kind mid-plate quakes like the New Madrid style quake in the 1800's as those are fairly infrequent though still a possibility.

Here is an interesting link about earthquakes:
http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/plate-tectonics.html

As you can see from the map Seattle, HK and Auckland are more likely than Sydney which is somewhat removed from the prime areas of earthquake presentation along the plate edge.

1. How likely is California to experience the Big One?

The likelihood of California experiencing a major earthquake, also known as the "Big One," is high. According to the USGS, there is a 72% chance of a magnitude 6.7 or larger earthquake occurring in the next 30 years.

2. What preparations has California made for the Big One?

California has implemented strict building codes and regulations, as well as disaster response plans, to prepare for the Big One. The state also conducts regular earthquake drills and has an early warning system in place.

3. How prepared are California's infrastructure and buildings for the Big One?

While California has made significant efforts to strengthen its infrastructure and buildings, there are still vulnerabilities that could be exposed during a major earthquake. It is important for individuals and communities to also have their own emergency plans in place.

4. What can Californians do to prepare for the Big One?

Californians can take steps to prepare for the Big One by creating an emergency plan, having disaster supplies on hand, and securing their homes and belongings. It is also important to stay informed and participate in earthquake drills and preparedness events.

5. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the Big One from happening?

Unfortunately, earthquakes cannot be prevented. However, research and monitoring of fault lines can help scientists better understand and predict potential earthquakes. It is important for individuals and communities to be prepared for when the Big One does occur.