Intermediate Value Theorem related question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the existence of an x value in the interval [0, 1/2] where g(x) = g(x+1/2) for a continuous function g:[0,1] -> R with g(0)=g(1). The intermediate value theorem is used to create a new function p(x) = g(x) - g(x+1/2) and it is shown that p(0) and p(1/2) are negative and positive of each other, respectively. It is also noted that the case where p(0)=p(1/2) must be considered.
kehler

Homework Statement

Suppose the g:[0,1] -> R is continuouse, with g(0)=g(1). Show that there exists an x in [0,1/2] such that g(x) = g(x+1/2)

Homework Equations

The intermediate value theorem is used in there somewhere. IVT:
If f(x) is continuous on the interval [a,b] and f(a)<q<f(b), then there exists an x in [a,b] such that f(x)=q.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried creating another function, p(x) = g(x) - g(x+1/2). I want to show p(x)=0 at some point in [0,1/2] by finding a positive number in the interval and a negative one, then quote the IVT. But I can't seem to do that. I tried substituting the endpoint values in but they didn't help much. And I assume that g(0)=g(1) must come into play somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is p(0)? What is p(1/2)? How do these quantities relate to one another?

Hmm...
p(0) = g(0) - g(1/2)
p(1/2) = g(1/2) - g(1) = g(1/2) - g(0) = -p(0)

Ooh. So I just say that they're negative of each other? And if one's negative and the other's positive then there must be a zero in between. Is that it? :D
Silly me.

There is also the case that p(0)=p(1)=0, but that is also easy to deal with.

Can I do it for p(1) if we want x in [0,1/2]? :S
Anyway, thanks for the hint. Someone else told me to consider the three cases p(0)=0, p(0)>0 and p(0)<0 so I've been sitting here for ages trying to figure that out! Any idea how to do it with that method?

Sorry I meant p(0)=p(1/2)=0. That method is basically what you've done, you've already figured out the cases when p(0)>0 and p(0)<0 since you know p(1/2)=-p(0). That only leaves p(0)=0 which is the case above p(0)=p(1/2)=0.

Oh ok I see what u mean. Thanks :)

1. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a continuous function takes on two values at two points, it must also take on every value in between those two points. In other words, if a function starts at one value and ends at another value, it must pass through every value in between at some point.

2. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem used in real life?

The Intermediate Value Theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to show the existence of solutions to certain problems, such as finding the root of an equation. It can also be used to prove the existence of certain physical phenomena, such as the existence of a temperature at which water boils.

3. What are the requirements for a function to satisfy the Intermediate Value Theorem?

For a function to satisfy the Intermediate Value Theorem, it must be continuous on a closed interval [a, b] and take on two values, f(a) and f(b), at the endpoints a and b. Additionally, the function must be defined on the entire interval [a, b], meaning there are no breaks or discontinuities.

4. Can the Intermediate Value Theorem be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem does not provide an exact value for a function. It only guarantees the existence of a value between two known points. To find the exact value of a function, additional methods such as algebraic manipulation or numerical methods may be used.

5. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem related to the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a more specific version of the Intermediate Value Theorem. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b] and differentiable on the open interval (a, b), then there exists a point c in (a, b) where the derivative of the function is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval. This point c is also guaranteed to exist by the Intermediate Value Theorem.