How do you determine the total error in a measurement of flow rate?

In summary, the error of a measurement is determined by multiplying the error of each of the individual variables by the partial derivative of that variable with respect to that variable.
Topher925
I have a question that has been bugging me lately. How is it that you determine the total error of a measurement?

For example, if we are trying to measure the flow rate of water coming out of a hose. We let the water flowing through the hose fill a graduated cylinder and measure the time it takes to do it. So we would have:

Flow rate = Volume / Time

However let's say that we need to know the error of this measurement. Would we say that the total error is:

Error = Ev*dQ/dv + Et*dQ/dt (d's are partial derivatives)

Where,
Q = function for flow rate
Ev = max error from volume measurement
Et = max error of time measurement
Error = total error

So the formula would ultimately be:

Error = Et*-V/t^2 + Ev*1/t

Would this be correct? Haven't done this in a while and its just not making sense to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you take the *partial* derivatives of the function wrt each variable, and multiply each pd by the error, then sum them up.

So in your example where F = V/t

you have err = ev d(V/t)/dV + et d(V/t)/dt (where these d's are partials)

You have to be careful to keep track of the units, sometimes errors are given as percent of scale and sometimes in absolute units.

gmax137 said:
I think you take the *partial* derivatives of the function wrt each variable, and multiply each pd by the error, then sum them up.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I meant to say, I should probably correct that. I always get confused about this formula for some reason it just doesn't make much "physical" sense to me.

The physical meaning is this - the partial derivative of f(x,y) wrt x is how much f changes for a given change in x. Now consider ex, the error in x, as that "given change in x". Then the change in f for the change in x is ex times partial of f wrt x.

Topher925 said:
I have a question that has been bugging me lately. How is it that you determine the total error of a measurement?

<snip>

John Taylor has written an excellent book "An Introduction to Error Analysis", and it's worth reading.

Under most conditions- errors in one quantity (say cylinder radius) are independent of errors in another quantity (say time to fill)- then the different errors add in quadrature. Another importnat assumption is that repeated measurements form a Gaussian distribution. Then, given a function of several variables q=F(x,y,v,...t) then:

[tex]\delta q = \sqrt{(\frac{\partial q}{\partial x} \delta x)^{2}+(\frac{\partial q}{\partial y} \delta y)^{2}+(\frac{\partial q}{\partial v} \delta v)^{2}+...(\frac{\partial q}{\partial t} \delta t)^{2}}[/tex]

or variants thereof. The formula your wrote is also true, but it's an extremum value.

sorry for any confusion - you are quite right about summing inquadrature (a.k.a, root-sum-square or RSS). This is probably where the OP has trouble with the "physical meaning." I remember when I was trying to get to understand the meaning of the RSS formula, I found Taylor's book and it helped me out. Now that was a few years ago and I can't remember how he explained it...And my copy of the book is not at hand...

Error estimation is very tricky and there are often no single "correct" estimate. Nowadays Monte Carlo calculations are used in more advanced applications but even then there are problems; mainly related to how we interpret probability (i.e. what does the limits actually mean).
From what I understand even GUM* is a bit messy in that regard, mixing Baysian and functionalistic approaches.

*GUM=Guide for measurement uncertainty, a publication from ISO, IEC and a few other standardization organizations.

I believe your equation for the error is correct, apart from absolute values!

I think it's supposed to be:

[tex]dQ = \left| \frac{\partial Q}{\partial V} \right| \, dV + \left| \frac{\partial Q}{\partial t} \right| \, dt = \frac{1}{t} \, dV + \frac{V}{t^2} \, dt[/tex]
(Assuming t and V are both always positive as would be the obvious case with time and volume)

Note the + V/t^2..! It doesn't make sense to have your error become less (or even negative!) if some partial derivative happens to be negative...

Thanks for all the replies. I am now a little more knowledgeable about error analysis. I'll try to get to that book someday but right now I just don't have the time due to other books that I have to read.

1. What is total error in a measurement?

Total error in a measurement refers to the difference between the measured value and the true value of a quantity. It includes both random error, which is caused by unpredictable factors, and systematic error, which is caused by consistent biases in the measurement process.

2. How is total error calculated?

Total error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the measured value and the true value. This can then be expressed as a percentage of the true value or as a number with the appropriate units of measurement.

3. Why is it important to consider total error in a measurement?

Considering total error in a measurement is important because it allows us to understand the accuracy and precision of our measurements. By identifying and minimizing sources of error, we can improve the reliability of our data and make more informed conclusions.

4. What are some common sources of total error in a measurement?

Some common sources of total error in a measurement include human error, equipment limitations, environmental factors, and variations in the sample or measurement process. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors to reduce the overall error in a measurement.

5. Can total error ever be completely eliminated?

It is impossible to completely eliminate total error in a measurement as there will always be some level of uncertainty and variability in any measurement process. However, by using appropriate techniques and equipment, we can minimize the total error and improve the accuracy and precision of our measurements.