Definition of a complex matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a complex matrix and whether an element in the set of hermitian matrices is also an element in the set of complex matrices. It is agreed that hermitian matrices are a subset of complex matrices, but they are not a vector space over complex numbers due to the fact that multiplying by i would result in a non-hermitian matrix. However, this distinction is not necessary for solving the problem at hand.
_Andreas
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ComplexMatrix.html" states that a complex matrix is "a matrix whose elements may contain complex numbers". My question is what the "may" means. Could a matrix be complex even if its elements does not contain any complex numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Real matrices are contained in the set of complex matrices. In that sense they are also complex. That's the only sense in which they are complex. A real matrix is, uh, real.

Dick said:
Real matrices are contained in the set of complex matrices. In that sense they are also complex. That's the only sense in which they are complex. A real matrix is, uh, real.

Thanks. I have a follow-up question if you don't mind: does this mean that an element in the [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]-vector space [tex]Herm_n(\mathbb{C})[/tex] (the set of all hermitian n x n-matrices) is also an element in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]^n?

Last edited:
If you mean is the set of all hermitian matrices a subset of the set of all complex matrices, of course it is. Why do you need to ask?

Dick said:
If you mean is the set of all hermitian matrices a subset of the set of all complex matrices, of course it is. Why do you need to ask?

Because I'm trying to solve a problem in which there is an expression [tex]AB[/tex], where [tex]A[/tex] is a [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]-linear map [tex]A:\mathbb{C}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{C}^n[/tex] and [tex]B \in \msbox{Herm_n}(\mathbb{C})[/tex]. If [tex]B[/tex] doesn't also lie in [tex]\mathbb{C}^n[/tex], I can't make sense of the expression.

Last edited:
Adding to my confusion was this statement on Wikipedia:
The Hermitian n-by-n matrices form a vector space over the real numbers (but not over the complex numbers).

_Andreas said:
I can't make sense of the expression.
What's wrong with reading it as simply being the product of linear operators?

_Andreas said:
Because I'm trying to solve a problem in which there is an expression [tex]AB[/tex], where [tex]A[/tex] is a [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]-linear map [tex]A:\mathbb{C}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{C}^n[/tex] and [tex]B \in \msbox{Herm_n}(\mathbb{C})[/tex]. If [tex]B[/tex] doesn't also lie in [tex]\mathbb{C}^n[/tex], I can't make sense of the expression.

We have agreed Herm_n(C) does lie in the set nxn complex matrices, right? It's not a vector space over C because if you multiply a hermitian matrix by i it's no longer hermitian. But I don't see why that needs to concern you.

Dick said:
We have agreed Herm_n(C) does lie in the set nxn complex matrices, right?

Yes.

Dick said:
It's not a vector space over C because if you multiply a hermitian matrix by i it's no longer hermitian.

Very helpful! Thanks.

Dick said:
But I don't see why that needs to concern you.

I've actually solved the problem, and you're right, it was unnecessary for me to be concerned by it.

Thanks again for your help.

1. What is a complex matrix?

A complex matrix is a rectangular array of complex numbers, where each element in the matrix is a complex number with a real and imaginary part. It can be represented in the form of m x n, where m represents the number of rows and n represents the number of columns in the matrix.

2. How is a complex matrix different from a real matrix?

A complex matrix contains complex numbers, whereas a real matrix only contains real numbers. This means that the elements in a complex matrix can have both a real and imaginary part, while elements in a real matrix only have a real part.

3. What are the operations that can be performed on complex matrices?

Just like real matrices, complex matrices can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided. However, since complex numbers have both real and imaginary parts, these operations are more complex and involve calculations with complex numbers.

4. What are the applications of complex matrices?

Complex matrices are widely used in engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve problems involving systems of equations, transformations, and differential equations. They are also used in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and economics.

5. Can a complex matrix have a determinant?

Yes, a complex matrix can have a determinant, just like a real matrix. The determinant of a complex matrix is a complex number and is calculated using the same methods as a real matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix and is used in solving systems of linear equations.