So how many horsepower do you need

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Horsepower
In summary, while driving down a 6% slope, the speaker's car will maintain a constant 100km/h in gear with the engine running and no gas pedal. The calculations show that this requires 35bhp, which is likely the same amount of power used when cruising on flat ground at 100km/h. However, the smallest engine available for purchase in the speaker's car is 175bhp, which seems excessive. The conversation then delves into further calculations and discussions about the necessary power for accelerating and overcoming friction forces.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In a long drive home through the moutains I noticed that my car will do a constant 100km/h in gear with the engine running but no gas pedal down a 6% slope.

100Km/h = 27.8 m/s, in a 6% downgrade that's 1.7 m/s vertically.
kerb weight=1420Kg , so with 2 people and some fuel = 1600kg
mgh = 1600 * 9.8 * 1.7 J/s = 26Kw = 35bhp

So presumably cruising on the flat freeway at 100km/h I am also using 35bhp?
So why does the smallest engine I can buy in this car need 175bHp?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the power needed to accelerate to that velocity?

Or, how about the power needed to go up a hill? Or to burn rubber leaving the party? Also, you wouldn't want to be pushing peak power from your engine all of the time - it wouldn't last long before requiring a rebuild that way.

You're right though, the peak power is probably higher than it "needs" to be. That's one reason the easiest way to improve your fuel mileage is to drive more gently.

Edit - don't forget too, that if you are driving on the flats at your 100 km/hr, you are using that 35 bhp, you are not burning gas at a 175 bhp rate. What you are wasting is the fuel to overcome the mechanical (in)efficiency etc. of the bigger engine; and the extra weight associated with the engine, and heavier frame, and bigger brakes, and so on

If any environmentalists press you, tell them you have a bigger engine so you can do accelerometer studies...don't mention impressing chicks!

Naty1 said:
...don't mention impressing chicks!

You know how people buy a Porsche or a 4x4 to make up for their small 'equipement'?
That's my 2cv over there ..wink.. ..wink..

mgb_phys said:
In a long drive home through the moutains I noticed that my car will do a constant 100km/h in gear with the engine running but no gas pedal down a 6% slope.

100Km/h = 27.8 m/s, in a 6% downgrade that's 1.7 m/s vertically.
kerb weight=1420Kg , so with 2 people and some fuel = 1600kg
mgh = 1600 * 9.8 * 1.7 J/s = 26Kw = 35bhp

So presumably cruising on the flat freeway at 100km/h I am also using 35bhp?
So why does the smallest engine I can buy in this car need 175bHp?

Well, are you sure that the smallest engine is 175 BHP? That sounds very high and I suspect it is the engine HP. BHP usually runs about 60% of engine HP and the manufacturers usually overrate the engine HP anyway. But, looking at the numbers you gave, since the car is not accelerating going down the grade, it must be at equilibrium between the friction forces and the x component of the Normal force. I calculate that as being 1640 N. That also seems a bit high so I suspect the engine and drive train are actually holding the car back, rather than helping to push it forward! In any case, let’s take that number and calculate the power at 27.8 m/s and we get 45600 Joules or about 60 BHP. So you need 60 BHP on the straight and level at 100 kph just to overcome friction forces. That corresponds to about a 100 HP engine. Now, if you ever want to do any accelerating up to the velocity of 100 kph, you will need about double force of 1640 N. Let's say 3200 N at 27.8 m/s which is 89000 J or 118 BHP. That corresponds to almost 200 engine HP which makes the 175 HP engine look a bit undersized. The cal’s are off a bit because we don’t have a good handle on the friction forces but I would say that 175 HP engine is about right for your car.

Yes 175hp is the sticker HorsePower, I wasn't aware of bhp/hp difference.
The car was rolling in gear but with no gas - so it's in equilibrium with gravity=aerodynamic + drive train drag. That was the experiment - the power needed to maintain 100km/h.

The result was interesting, my old Citroen probably had around 50hp and would get to 75mph/120Kmh (eventually). The new shiny car has permament 4wd which obviously adds a lot of drag (but it can REALLY accelerate = :biggrin:)

1. What is horsepower?

Horsepower is a unit of power used to measure the rate at which work is done. It was first introduced by James Watt in the late 18th century and is defined as the power needed to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute.

2. How is horsepower calculated?

Horsepower is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do that work. The formula for horsepower is: horsepower = (force x distance)/time. In the case of cars, horsepower is typically measured at the wheels and can be calculated using a dynamometer.

3. How much horsepower do I need for my car?

The amount of horsepower needed for a car depends on several factors, including the weight of the car, its intended use, and the type of engine it has. Generally, a smaller car with a four-cylinder engine will require less horsepower than a larger car with a V8 engine.

4. Does more horsepower mean better performance?

Not necessarily. While horsepower does play a role in a car's performance, it is not the only factor. Other factors such as torque, weight, and aerodynamics also contribute to a car's performance. A car with high horsepower but poor aerodynamics may not perform as well as a car with lower horsepower but better aerodynamics.

5. What is the difference between horsepower and torque?

Horsepower and torque are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different measurements. Horsepower is a measurement of power, while torque is a measurement of rotational force. In simpler terms, horsepower determines a car's top speed, while torque determines its acceleration.