Boy, 8, shoots himself to death at Mass. gun show

In summary: The gun came to me from my father and it had a gouge in the stock that was a constant reminder to me whenever I handled it that came from the story behind it. The gouge came from when my father was carrying it, when he was younger, and he was out hunting with it slung under his arm. It was struck by a bullet from another hunter on the other side of a hill - out of line of sight. Every time I handled it I was reminded by the blemish of the...This unfortunate event should serve as a warning to other gun owners and enthusiasts about the dangers of not properly securing their weapons.In summary, 8 year old boy shoots himself with an automatic weapon at a
rootX said:
Yes, it is new.
But sounds like either you are living in really old times or in a really dangerous area. How many times you actually had to use the gun?

And yes, it is society's job to make sure that children are raised properly.

You seem have granted guns a nearly magical power over people. To listen to you, as soon as a person picks up a gun they are overcome with a urge to shoot someone. I simply do not see any connection between knowledge of firearms and proper raising of children.

Guns owned by responsible law abiding citizens (that is a lot of guns) are "used" with some frequency, either at the shooting range or hunting. The "normal" gun owner will NEVER have the need (or desire) to fire his weapon AT another human. You must spend to much time watching the evening news, perhaps you believe that all gun owners are gang members driving around town randomly "using" their gun by firing at what ever presents itself as a target. Needless to say this is simply not the case. You seem to be filled with many misconceptions about guns and gun ownership in general. Please drop your preconceptions and quit making judgements based upon them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
It's really weird, it's like he just couldn't care less that his kid is dead. ... I would expect him to be inconsolably bawling his eyes out and wracked with guilt about letting the kid do something so stupid.
It's fine that years of TV give you that expectation -- but to conclude that the guy doesn't care simply because he doesn't make a spectacle of himself is wholly irresponsible.

Mental block perhaps? When my Dad passed out I was completely separated from the thing, just observing everything from the distance. It was huge and thick wall. It fall during funeral. Good that it was pouring, nobody realized how I was crying. I was almost 30 then.

Borek said:
Mental block perhaps? When my Dad passed out I was completely separated from the thing, just observing everything from the distance. It was huge and thick wall. It fall during funeral. Good that it was pouring, nobody realized how I was crying. I was almost 30 then.

yeah, sometimes it does take a while before a loss really hits you.

it's also possible that being an ER doc he's learned to suppress his emotions, or has just become numb to tragedy.

another possibility is sociopathy, which I'm not sure is so much of a character flaw as it is a disability.

russ_watters said:
I see no functional difference there, whether the cub scouts is the cause or the effect (notice: I did not specify).

Clarification, though: it is not a failure of society, it is a failure of parenting. It isn't society's job to raise that guy's kid.

Primary responsibility of the parents but I'd say that if the wider society wants responsible citizens they have to take a more pro-active role in either educating parents to be or removing children from parents found to be unfit. If you want to let potential killers grow up and do just that then fair enough.

Kurdt said:
Primary responsibility of the parents but I'd say that if the wider society wants responsible citizens they have to take a more pro-active role in either educating parents to be or removing children from parents found to be unfit.
I make this prediction. When they come to take away a freedom that you do cherish, it will be done in the name of protecting children.

Hurkyl said:
It's fine that years of TV give you that expectation -- but to conclude that the guy doesn't care simply because he doesn't make a spectacle of himself is wholly irresponsible.

Did I say he didn't care? I said something is weird about his reaction. And, no, it's not years of TV, it's life experience of seeing people dealing with tragedy first hand. It's irresponsible NOT to notice something is wrong with his affect as he's talking about this. A parent does not lose a child without having an emotional response. There should be some sign of it...watery eyes, a crack in the voice...even the most stoic person can't hide all those signs of grief when it's someone that close to them as a child. The ones who show no emotion are the ones you need to watch out for. Somebody better have him on 24 hour suicide watch, or the next news story will be of him shooting himself.

As for people who seem to be blaming guns for this, consider other tools that require no permit to use but nobody in their right mind would let a child try out just for a photo op...would you hand a chain saw to an 8-year old and tell him to rev it up and then blame the chain saw manufacturers and all the chain saw owners of the world and the lack of laws banning chainsaws when the kid lopped an arm or leg off? No, you'd put blame right where it belongs, on the moron of a parent who hands a chainsaw to a child too young to operate it and then fumbles for a camera while the child is attempting to control it.

When you were only 8 years old, did your mom just hand you a 10" butcher knife and instruct you to make dinner? No. At that age, you were probably allowed to cut soft foods with a steak knife, or maybe a small paring knife. If someone handed their kid a butcher knife and told them to cut up carrots and they were going to take a picture while they did it, and then landed the kid in the ER with missing fingers, would you blame knife manufacturers and society for not banning butcher knives from kitchens? Again, no. You'd be investigating the parent for child neglect or abuse or some such for showing monumentally poor lack of judgement in their parenting skills.

Kurdt said:
If you want to let potential killers grow up and do just that then fair enough.

But as this case demonstrates, when parenting skills are truly horrendous, the kids don't grow up.

Moonbear said:
But as this case demonstrates, when parenting skills are truly horrendous, the kids don't grow up.

That is not always true.

Moonbear said:

It's kind of sad.

I'm not sure how people justify raising their child like that.

JasonRox said:
It's kind of sad.

I'm not sure how people justify raising their child like that.

Because if you raise a child like that, you don't have to do it very long.

Moonbear said:

1) Everyone knew there would be the use of automatic guns
2) We all know kids shouldn't be in that place unless you are american where you think kids in diapers can shoot.

Integral said:
Guns owned by responsible law abiding citizens (that is a lot of guns) are "used" with some frequency, either at the shooting range or hunting. The "normal" gun owner will NEVER have the need (or desire) to fire his weapon AT another human.

Russ implied in his post that he need his gun for protection.
they are overly sheltered

I am not thinking that all gun owner are gang members but I am trying to emphasize the point that immature individuals who lack judgement shouldn't be exposed to any kind of weapons.
Here:
Letting children play with guns is an indicator of bad society. If they grow up with weapons, they will be more dependent on those weapons which is unhealthy.
I never made any reference to adults ...

Ok, let's say adults can posses guns but there should be an age limit for children. And, I believe the theory that exposing children to violence or weapons is unhealthy. If that theory is wrong then I will be wrong.

Last edited:
Somewhat related news - not sure if someone has already brought this up in another thread:
An 8-year-old boy charged in the shooting deaths of his father and another man appeared in handcuffs at a court hearing, drawing tears from some in the audience, and the judge slapped a gag order on the shocking case.
Defense attorney Benjamin Brewer also asked for access to the crime scene — a two-story home where police say the boy's father, Vincent Romero, a 29-year-old employee of a construction company, and his co-worker and roommate, Timothy Romans, 39, were shot with a .22-caliber rifle on Wednesday.
Relatives and friends painted a picture of Romero as a caring father who seemed to be doing all he could to raise a polite and respectful boy.

"They were always together doing things as a family, fishing, hunting," said Carlos Diaz, a cousin of Romero's current wife.
Police said Romero's son planned and methodically carried out the killings, and confessed. Authorities would not discuss specifics of the confession.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iG_nB7rdOr3TiaL5ph3YDR5qNNTAD94CLQA80 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>What happened at the Mass. gun show?</h2><p>An 8-year-old boy accidentally shot himself to death at a gun show in Massachusetts. The incident occurred when the boy's father was showing him how to use a firearm.</p><h2>How did the boy get access to the gun?</h2><p>The boy's father had brought the gun to the show and had it in his possession. It is unclear how the boy was able to access the gun and shoot himself.</p><h2>Was anyone else injured in the incident?</h2><p>No, no one else was injured in the incident. The boy's father and other attendees of the gun show were unharmed.</p><h2>What safety measures were in place at the gun show?</h2><p>The gun show had strict safety protocols in place, including requiring all firearms to be unloaded and secured with a zip tie, and prohibiting loaded firearms in the show area. However, it is unclear if these measures were followed in this specific incident.</p><h2>How common are accidents like this at gun shows?</h2><p>Accidents involving firearms at gun shows are rare, but they do happen. It is important for all attendees to follow safety protocols and for gun show organizers to enforce these protocols to prevent accidents from occurring.</p>

What happened at the Mass. gun show?

An 8-year-old boy accidentally shot himself to death at a gun show in Massachusetts. The incident occurred when the boy's father was showing him how to use a firearm.

How did the boy get access to the gun?

The boy's father had brought the gun to the show and had it in his possession. It is unclear how the boy was able to access the gun and shoot himself.

Was anyone else injured in the incident?

No, no one else was injured in the incident. The boy's father and other attendees of the gun show were unharmed.

What safety measures were in place at the gun show?

The gun show had strict safety protocols in place, including requiring all firearms to be unloaded and secured with a zip tie, and prohibiting loaded firearms in the show area. However, it is unclear if these measures were followed in this specific incident.

How common are accidents like this at gun shows?

Accidents involving firearms at gun shows are rare, but they do happen. It is important for all attendees to follow safety protocols and for gun show organizers to enforce these protocols to prevent accidents from occurring.